Biomedical Engineering vs. Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chum

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have reached cross-road in what I think I want to pursue major wise. To make a long story short I started in BME at my school and decided I was too afraid of the upper level courses to continue. Getting into medical school has always been the goal no matter my major. I recently switched to biochem because I thought my GPA would suffer otherwise.

I have always loved bio and chemistry, but going into biochem and taking the courses now it just feels like a lot of memorization and not really DOING anything. I choose BME because I like the aspects of engineering that makes you think and apply knowledge.

So my question is what do you guys think I should do? I honestly have no clue. My c/sGPA are both 3.7+ (going to be a junior) so should I worry about getting a B or two in upper level BME courses?

Another big factor that I have considered is the better plan B aspect of either major. I feel Biochem is worse in that regard. If I needed the plan B I would rather do research with a BME focus than a biochem one.

Sorry if that was long winded, but I really am torn what to do. I feel like a do want to go back to BME, but I am afraid of the consequences.

Also, If it came off like I do not like biochem that is not true. I really do like it.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're already a Junior and have maintained a c/sGPA of 3.7+, then you should be OK with a few B's here and there in the BME courses...

I applied this cycle, BME major and while I have solid stats (520+ and a 3.8+ gpa), I think that it has helped me standout in a crowded pool of well qualified applicants. The number of other engineers I have met on the interview trail is VERY small compared to what I expected. I wrote a lot of my essays about how I think the engineering mindset will help me, and it has been positively received. If you can maintain the 3.7 as a BME, it’s worth working a little harder in your classes! At the end of the day, being able to say you have an engineering degree is pretty cool too.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I have reached cross-road in what I think I want to pursue major wise. To make a long story short I started in BME at my school and decided I was too afraid of the upper level courses to continue. Getting into medical school has always been the goal no matter my major. I recently switched to biochem because I thought my GPA would suffer otherwise.

I have always loved bio and chemistry, but going into biochem and taking the courses now it just feels like a lot of memorization and not really DOING anything. I choose BME because I like the aspects of engineering that makes you think and apply knowledge.

So my question is what do you guys think I should do? I honestly have no clue. My c/sGPA are both 3.7+ (going to be a junior) so should I worry about getting a B or two in upper level BME courses?

Another big factor that I have considered is the better plan B aspect of either major. I feel Biochem is worse in that regard. If I needed the plan B I would rather do research with a BME focus than a biochem one.

Sorry if that was long winded, but I really am torn what to do. I feel like a do want to go back to BME, but I am afraid of the consequences.

Also, If it came off like I do not like biochem that is not true. I really do like it.

A couple of B(s) here and there is no problem. Nobody expects you to be perfect, and college is an opportunity to grow. You won't get a chance to take BME courses again, or humanities/social sciences for that matter, after you graduate. If your c/s GPA is 3.7+, that's solid, and the MCAT will decide where you can apply and get interviews. I'd go for it. You should also reach out to upperclassmen at your school to get a better feel for the upper level courses and get their input.

Perhaps things have changed in the last ~10 years, but back when I was in school, biomedical engineering didn't improve your job prospects at all over regular biology or chemistry. Sure, the faculty would sell you this dream that your perfect blending of biology and engineering would make you a hot commodity in the job market, but the reality is that engineering companies would much rather hire mechanical and electrical engineers; that left the biomedical engineers to go for the exact same jobs as the biology and chemistry majors.