Biostatistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaya88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep getting mixed feedback about the prerequistes (not requirements but I actually need to understand it) for biostatistics. I have been told that college algebra is fine if you understand statistics. I have heard it is impossible to do without calculus. I have heard that precalculus is fine.

I have only had college algebra and social science statistics classes. I could take pre-calc this summer at a community college but I would rather continue working right until I start classes since I will not be making any money once I start school!

I would appreciate any input. I am also curious about epidemiology. is college biology sufficient?

Oh, I am obviously not going into biostats or epi. I am looking at health policy or communty health education.

Again, this isn't a question about what I would need to be accepted but rather what is going to help me succeed in these classes.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I only had a social science stats class many years ago going into Biostatistics. I am NOT a math person and managed to get an A. I think it depends on the course/school but if you attend the lectures, read the chapters and attend office hours if you're having difficulty you should be fine.

I would add I am taking epi right now (not my major) and the course is very time consuming yet not particularly hard. It's more like accounting except instead of crunching numbers about cash flow you crunch numbers about how many people have died from diseases. Think of it as accounting meets mortuary science. I took no science in college though outside of astronomy and I'm moving along fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep getting mixed feedback about the prerequistes (not requirements but I actually need to understand it) for biostatistics. I have been told that college algebra is fine if you understand statistics. I have heard it is impossible to do without calculus. I have heard that precalculus is fine.

I have only had college algebra and social science statistics classes. I could take pre-calc this summer at a community college but I would rather continue working right until I start classes since I will not be making any money once I start school!

I would appreciate any input. I am also curious about epidemiology. is college biology sufficient?

Oh, I am obviously not going into biostats or epi. I am looking at health policy or communty health education.

Again, this isn't a question about what I would need to be accepted but rather what is going to help me succeed in these classes.

Thank you!

For biostatistics (BIOS), you need 3 semesters of Calculus (the 3rd Semester being Multivariate) and Linear (aka Matrix Algebra) at a MINIMUM. Many programs will not make exceptions and there is a reason for this. This should be enough for a Masters in Biostatistics. For the PhD, you may want courses like Analysis (Real/Functional) and calculus based Statistics courses as well. If you only have the minimum above, you (likely) will not be accepted to a major PhD program in Biostatistics; your competitors will have MUCH more than the minimum.

For Epi: more Biology is nice, but not needed. You can learn it as needed. It's different than the Math needed for BIOS, which is required to understand the grad level BIOS coursework. I doubt an extra Biochemistry, Physiology course would make one a better EPID grad student.

Hello,
Thank you all for replying. I really appreciate it. To clarify, I am NOT seeking a masters in Biostats. Far from it :) as my academic background is in the social sciences. I interested in what is needed for the 1 or 2 required biostat classes.

I love the mortuary science meets accounting analogy for Epi. I can definetely handle that.

For those of you who responded, would you mind sharing what school you are at or if not, did your school tout itself as a quantitative program? For example, I noticed the Yale program has two semesters of biostats and when I met with people there I never heard them describe it as quantitative. Yet UIC says it is a quanatative program only requires one semester of biostats and UW says it is quant. and it definetely seems like it is.

Thanks! I am always interested in people's opinions on this!

I taught a section of biostats, and most of my students did not have a calculus background (algebra suffices). It definitely helps if you want to get into the theory behind the methodology, but it isn't required in the least for most biostats classes outside of a mathematics degree. That being said, if you find you enjoy the material (loved graduate math, hated high school math), you probably will have to learn it on your own or take the prerecs for the courses that interest you.

Also, for Epi, a background of biology (beyond introductory courses) can enrich your learning in courses, but your professors will teach whatever biology is needed at the level of detail you are required to know (genetic epidemiology or pathology, for instance).

I'm at UT and would say unless you are majoring in epi or biostats we are not a math driven program at all. In fact we have about 12 hours of electives in my health promotion degree to choose whatever we feel we might need it's one of the reasons I came here. For my career goals I felt I might need both management and health promotion coursework to get ahead. We only require a basic biostats course and a basic epi course although students in any department may take field epi or intermediate biostats if they are really bored.

For basic biostats you definitely do not need a calculus or math background. You do need to be comfortable with basic algebra. Most of the calculations are quite simple, but have complex explanations.

I took a four credit statistics course in undergrad (which was now ten years ago for me) and took a basic calculus course. I have read and analyzed a ton of studies over the years, and have worked in medical sales for nine years. Do you think I will do fine in the intro Biostats core class? Will a lot of the information be repetitive of undergrad statistics? What should I brush up on?

Also, I just completed pre-reqs for PA school (I was considering going to PA school before deciding on MPH) including microbiology, genetics, A&P I and II, inorganic chem I & II, bio I and II. I had a 3.8 in my science prereqs, and my concentration in MPH is Health Policy & Management (I want to work in healthcare admin/hospital management). Do you think that I will be fine in the intro Epi core class, as well?

I just want to know how much pre-work/studying to anticipate before starting in the fall.

Thanks for your help!

I took a four credit statistics course in undergrad (which was now ten years ago for me) and took a basic calculus course. I have read and analyzed a ton of studies over the years, and have worked in medical sales for nine years. Do you think I will do fine in the intro Biostats core class? Will a lot of the information be repetitive of undergrad statistics? What should I brush up on?

Also, I just completed pre-reqs for PA school (I was considering going to PA school before deciding on MPH) including microbiology, genetics, A&P I and II, inorganic chem I & II, bio I and II. I had a 3.8 in my science prereqs, and my concentration in MPH is Health Policy & Management (I want to work in healthcare admin/hospital management). Do you think that I will be fine in the intro Epi core class, as well?

I just want to know how much pre-work/studying to anticipate before starting in the fall.

Thanks for your help!

You should be just fine. The biostats into course is like any other intro stats course. The epi course is also mostly observational study design methods. There's no major biology-like memorization involved.