biostats questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drake19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know of any good sources of biostats questions besides UWORLD STep 1,2,3 / Kaplan Step 1,2,3 / USMLERx Step 1,2,3 / UWORLD biostats tutorial?

Members don't see this ad.

You might look over a few select chapters in "high Yield Biostatistics". Be ready to do NNT/NNH harm calcs, spec/spcificity / ppv/npv and factors that vary them, confidence interval analysis, study identification, phase identification, bias and its reduction, correlation plot interpretation, mortality plot interpretation. There are likely to be a "suppose we do this, then what happens" type deals. You won't need everything in that book. Recognize that anything they ask has to be possibly done within about 75 seconds, mostly. You won't have to, say, calculate a standard deviation, but if I were you I'd know the %'s associated with them.

Personally, I left the faux drug ads and faux journal articles for last in a block because they are so time consuming. Although the faux drug adverts claim to cure dementia, cancer, bleeding, and breakouts, I mostly found they have the side effect of fatigue and extreme headache.

High Yield Biostats by Anthony N. Glaser? Is that a good book for Step 3? I'm done with uworld once but feel it's not enough

I have similar biostat concern. Been hearing day 1 has alot of biostats. I have step 1, step 2, step3 uw biostats and just finished uw biostats course. Any other qbank etc that can be helpful for biostats? Been googling biostats random questions. Seems pretty ******ed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have a stockpile of good questions, but I gave a 2 hour review of biostats (back for our class) and have modified it over the years. It's just slides / ppt and some text but I could PM them if you want.

I don't have a stockpile of good questions, but I gave a 2 hour review of biostats (back for our class) and have modified it over the years. It's just slides / ppt and some text but I could PM them if you want.
That would be awesome. Thank you!

could you PM me it as well? thanks!

Would you mind sending me you 2 hr review I would love that.

@fantasty Any chance you would send it my way as well? Thanks!

could you pm me too

I'm trying to find the PM conversation that I started. I'll add you if I can find it. Otherwise, I'll have to dig it out of my notes over the weekend.

Are the biostat questions on the real test mostly thinking type questions or math? I just started working through biostat UWorld and it is largely thinking. Thanks.

In my opinion / experience, they do tend to be more "thinking" types of questions. I don't think they want to make you slip up because you divided and/or rounded your answer incorrectly. They do have *some* math involved, but answer stems are usually more statements about what you can infer from the data presented, or what was the underlying logic (or statistical test / assumption) that leads you to a particular conclusion. Of course, my USMLEs are bit outdated by now.

Kindly, is it possible to send it to me ?

If you could very kindly send me the slides/ppt as well, it would greatly aid me for Step 3 preparation. Thanks.