Biotech options for pathologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinnyboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody here seriously looked at options for pathologists in biotech/pharma. What is the pay and job like?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked as a pathologist at a biotech for a brief time before the company declared bankruptcy and laid off all of the employees. Salary was in the low 200K range, and I was about 15 years post residency with multiple fellowships/subspecialty boards. Work day was pretty much a 9 hour work day and standard benefits. I strongly suspect that no one was making the kinds of numbers as posted in the post above mine. Unlike a private practice job, I had exposure to lots of PhD's in non-health care related disciplines that made for a diverse and informative work environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a great post from pazzer. The bonuses look attractive esp this one: Sr Vice President $400K-$500K + 100-200% bonus but after 15+ years.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=243278&highlight=biotech

Um yeah, you're not going to get that job right out of residency. A pathologist who would be hired to a job like that would be probably someone who did successful research for years and has other experience. Biotech jobs for new hires would probably be essentially senior tech kind of jobs, pay much less than a practicing physician. If you want a job in biotech your training path should probably not include med school + pathology residency. Try for a phd instead.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I do have a PhD. The post from Pazzer is not relevant to pathologists in industry. It is more for clinicians. Pathologists are on a different track from that listed in that post.

LOL. This option is looking much better after today! :)