Biotechnolgy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clipse

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been a hard-core pre-med-er since I was twelve. Recently I've been starting to consider a career in Biotechnology - perhaps because I suck at organic chemistry and i'm starting to wonder if I'm cut out for a career as a physician. Anyways, does anyone have ANY information on this field? Specifically I am looking for information on:
-What exactly does a career in biotechnology entail?
-What are the career/salary prospects?
-Where is this field heading?
-What undergraduate/graduate level work is required?
-Georgetown University's "Science Technology & International Affairs" major with a focus on Biotechnology.

Thanks all. And best of luck to all those applying to medical school right now.

Members don't see this ad.

well I'm not sure why others haven't replied yet- but only saying "biotech" is rather broad. It can be related to biochem, biomedical engineering, bioinformatics, etc etc.

Why don't you try reading about several different research fields and see what interests you? I would imagine these areas fall under biotechnology: tissue engineering, lab-on-chip, DNA/RNA/protein quantification, drug delivery, bio-optics, +others.

THere is a good magazine called The Scientist. It's not a journal, but a mag that talks about all aspects of science from new transfections techniques, faster DNA arrays, job trends, and salary differences.

It's a nice way to get some info about fields in biotech, without being overwhelmed.

Here's the web site
http://www.the-scientist.com/

Let me know if this helps

Just a thought, although I'm sure it's an oversimplification...

I would argue that sucking at O-chem or other basic science courses would bring you more trouble in 'biotech' than in medicine. I say this because I assume that a career in biotechnology - whatever the field - would probably entail a PhD or other graduate work in basic science. As far as med school goes, yes, you do need to be able to handle basic science for the MCAT and first two years, but I don't think it's nearly as challenging. I know people who really, really sucked at and hated basic science, but are now great physicians.

Just something to think about... don't let ochem intimidate you :D