Biotechnology Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cure4cancer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently at UBC right now in my first undergrad year of general science. Next year I have the choice of either choosing to get into the faculty of pharmaceutical sciences or getting a honors major in biotechnology with a a few co-op terms ( 5 year program ).

From what I hear, it seems as if biotechnology is the up-and-coming field, but by looking at the average salaries in vancouver (where I live) it's only averaging $2500 canadian a year.. and as much as I want to do medical research, that salary is really repelling me. I know that I shouldn't get a job for a salary, but seriuosly.. With that amount of money I would barely be able to support myself. Is there more money to be made in the states?

Would job opportunities be better after getting a masters or a phD in Biotech instead of just getting a Bsc. ?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find any other place to put it,
mods can move if they wish, thanks in advance people!

Members don't see this ad.

hi cure,

I'm not sure if after you receive a PhD will get you a high paying salary, but as far as i know, entry level in the biotech industry is about 40,000 to 50, 000 USD per year. I work in California, in South San Francisco and it really depends on what type of biotech position your are seeking. I understand that making a reasonable salary is a factor is staying in certain parts of the states, so I recommend you looking at www.biospace.com to select the type of work you're planning in becoming involved. After that, you can see if the salary is good enough to pursue the biotech field and/or pharmaceuticals. good luck! :thumbup: Here's the link: http://biospace.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_newsearch.asp

cure4cancer said:
Hi, I'm currently at UBC right now in my first undergrad year of general science. Next year I have the choice of either choosing to get into the faculty of pharmaceutical sciences or getting a honors major in biotechnology with a a few co-op terms ( 5 year program ).

From what I hear, it seems as if biotechnology is the up-and-coming field, but by looking at the average salaries in vancouver (where I live) it's only averaging $2500 canadian a year.. and as much as I want to do medical research, that salary is really repelling me. I know that I shouldn't get a job for a salary, but seriuosly.. With that amount of money I would barely be able to support myself. Is there more money to be made in the states?

Would job opportunities be better after getting a masters or a phD in Biotech instead of just getting a Bsc. ?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find any other place to put it,
mods can move if they wish, thanks in advance people!

Hi--

Can anyone tell which is better to take up as a career, MPH or MS in Biotechnology?
I'm pretty new to both the fields. Any info with regards to the schools, rankings and job opportunities would be great. I'm totally new to this. If someone sends me links of the school websites is greatly aprreciated.

Thanks