bitten

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think I got bitten by something two nights ago, cause yesterday the tip of my ring finger has swollen up...to the size of my thumb....its hard, all swollen, and really stiff....my mom told me i might have had an allergic rxn to a bite, so i took allegra....its really bad still...she'll be here in a few hours and she'll look at it, but any guesses? It hurts pretty bad. Its swollen, purple and kind of whitish/yellowish in the middle :(

Members don't see this ad.

When you say it's the "tip" of the finger, do you mean the actual tip or the "base" of your nail? Like at the nailbed? Sounds like an abscess. If at the nailbed then it's possible that you bite your nailes or recently had a manicure. If at the tip then you either had an unlucky encounter with something, even possibly as minor as a papercut, or something did bite you (I doubt that though). Your mom's a doctor? Gotta drain and pack that thing.

Probably West Nile Virus. You should cut the finger off and send it to the pathology forum for testing.

Members don't see this ad :)
no its like the palm side of my the tip of my finger...i dont bite my nails, no manicure recently done, hell i havent even done my nails in awhile....the WHOLE tip of my finger is stiff, hard and swollen...when I mean bump i mean the side of my finger has swelled up....it hurts so bad...i hope its something minor and not some stupid bite...yes she's a pediatrician, so hopefully she can help me with something.

Originally posted by GuitarMan
Probably West Nile Virus. You should cut the finger off and send it to the pathology forum for testing.

stop!! i saw that its here in nyc last night on the news...then i got worried, cause i woke that day I got bitten and my side hurt....really bad....but i dont think so...yikes! :eek:

its hard, all swollen, and really stiff

lol. i had to laugh when i read that.

Originally posted by TechMan

Especially from vixen!

Originally posted by TechMan

:rolleyes: I hope its not bad so I can laugh at it too :(

Too bad it isn't your middle finger. That would suit you so well!

thanks for the laugh :) I'll let you guys know what it is when I find out, later :)

Based on your description, it sounds like a "felon" or an abscess in your finger. You should have it looked at, and it might need to be drained ASAP.

could she get septecemia from that?

Originally posted by Diogenes
could she get septecemia from that?

I think what you mean to ask is if she could get bacteremia from that, and then sepsis from the bacteremia. I'm not so sure to tell the truth. All I know is that we had a patient come into the ER with a felon, and my attending had to explain to me what it was and how we couldn't let this patient leave until surgery came down and drained it. I should have asked her what would happen if we didn't drain it. I imagine one potential complication could be septic emboli from the abscess though, or septic shock if enough bacteria got into her blood. I did a quick search on the web but couldn't find that much in the way of prognosis if untreated.

Yes, an abscess can potentially lead to a bacteremia and possibly additional foci of infection. Septic shock? Septicemia? Some bugs are more prone to that kind of thing, but not every abscess will lead to septic shock.

The bottomline is that the abscess should be drained so as to decrease the pain, make it look pretty, and most importantly, to avoid a generalized bacteremia and its associated complications. It should be packed in order to be properly debrided.

Definitely Amputation! Necrotizing Fasciitis commonly referred to as FLESH EATING BACTERIA, is a progressive, rapidly spreading inflammatory infection located in the deep fascia that destroys fascia and fat with secondary necrosis of subcutaneous tissue. This is a severe and potentially fatal infection that may begin at the site of a small insignificant wound or surgical incision and is characterized by invasive and progressive necrosis of the soft tissue and underlying blood supply. Wounds as minor as pinpricks, needle punctures, bruises, blisters, and abrasions or as serious as a traumatic injury or surgical incision can provide an opportunity for bacteria to enter the body. Signs and symptoms may include PAIN, out of proportion to the size of the wound or injury it is associated with, is usually the first symptom of FLESH EATING BACTERIA and is generally presents prior to all other symptoms.

During the first 24 to 48 hour period, the erythema changes from red to a purple color then blue, with the formation of fluid-filled blisters and bullae appearing, indicating the rapid progression of necrotizing process.

Hope you feel better Vixen!

ok, maybe i overreacted?
:oops:

My mom gave me omnicef and told me to soak my finger in salt water, and the swelling has gone down immensly.....it should prob go down all the way in a few more days....thanks so much for your insight guys! :clap: :)