Bitter nurses.. pharmacists overstepping boundaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year our flu clinics are being run by immunization certified pharmacists instead of the nurses they used last year. Today a nurse-customer comes in, sees the sign and inquires what kind of process was needed to become qualified. RPh tells the nurse about the certification classes she took and the nurse says, "So if I take a 24-hr certification class I can come back here and hand out pills too?" :laugh: Found it funny for the most part. Do you think this is generally the view from nurses and doctors with pharmacists having their own anticoagulation clinics, diabetes clinics, the ability to give immunizations?

Members don't see this ad.

Just goes to show the nurse was a *****, with all respect. The pharmacists who took the course which was 8 hours of class time and 12 hours of didactic work earned the right to legally give injections. That this is all nurses do is the same as counting pills is all pharmacists do.

Just a complete lack of understanding of what is going on.....

I would have said something smart like "Yep, it took me 20 hours of training to do what took you four years. All I need to be a nurse is a bed pan cleaning course."

Nurses are funny, my wife is one and we go back and forth all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have said something smart like "Yep, it took me 20 hours of training to do what took you four years. All I need to be a nurse is a bed pan cleaning course."

Nurses are funny, my wife is one and we go back and forth all the time.

you is a liar. You don't go back and forth...

You just say "Yes Ma'am"

I try to be careful. She always accuses me of "belittling" her job. Discussions concerning salary always turn out badly for me....

Repeat after me...

"I'm not a smart man... "

From what I can tell, every health care profession overlaps at one place or another. I probably would have said that there is more to being a nurse then giving shots, just as there is more to being a pharmacist then counting pills. Sounds like the nurse had a chip on the shoulder anyway.
My wife is a PICU, and CCRN nurse (amazingly smart and dedicated one at that). Any pharmacist husband with a nurse wife should know better then to bring up (salary, reputation, title, working conditions, or headaches) with a nurse. Unless, of course, you follow up with the talk about the nice house, family life, new furniture, shoes, and purses that the higher salary helps provide. (Just kind of a running joke between my wife and I). :laugh:

In person I probably would've just smiled and said yeah sure, feel free to hand out what you want. Joking is _always_ easier.

She was probably a bit insecure about the fact someone took a 1 day course and took a part of their job. I truly find a lot of nurses can be a bit insecure regarding their knowledge/skill level. Of course, I know a lot who are completely comfortable with their title and their responsibilities, and these are the most enjoyable to speak/work with. You can usually tell within 5 mins of meeting someone.

From what I can tell, every health care profession overlaps at one place or another. I probably would have said that there is more to being a nurse then giving shots, just as there is more to being a pharmacist then counting pills. Sounds like the nurse had a chip on the shoulder anyway.
My wife is a PICU, and CCRN nurse (amazingly smart and dedicated one at that). Any pharmacist husband with a nurse wife should know better then to bring up (salary, reputation, title, working conditions, or headaches) with a nurse. Unless, of course, you follow up with the talk about the nice house, family life, new furniture, shoes, and purses that the higher salary helps provide. (Just kind of a running joke between my wife and I). :laugh:

My wife does not have many nurse friends, they all seem to be older. So when we are hanging out its usually with another Pharmacist couple. As a side bar have you noticed how many husband and wife pharmacists there are? Anyway we were taking a trip to Breckenridge a few years ago with a pharmacist couple we know. The topic of having children and quitting work to stay home with the kids came up. I innocently tried to make a very good point that we could better handle the loss of income if my wife stayed home verse my friend who is a pharmacist staying home. My dear sweet wife twisted this around and decided I was belittling her job and profession in front of our friends. To this day I have not stopped hearing about this.

My wife an I have had the same conversation, not in front of friends though, and we had to come to agree that her loss of income is much easier to handle at that time then mine would be. But, I would never say that she HAD to stay home with the kids, only that she could work less and stay home with them if she wanted to spend more time with them. Everybody likes the option and choice when it comes to their career. There are plenty of families where both parents work full time and the kids are at the sitters for a good part of the day. My wife wants to work part time and stay home with the kids as much as possible, so it is easy for us to talk about it.
I can understand your difficulty though, it is not easy when two people have careers and still want to have a family life. Just be thankful that both you and your wife have great careers that can provide a good life for the family. It has to be a more difficult discussion when both husband and wife are making just over min wage.:scared:
What parts of CO are you working in? My wife and I met in Colorado Springs and we have been thinking of going back once I'm out of school.
Best way to deal with hurt feelings, buy flowers and learn the soothing art of massage therapy while practicing it often!:laugh:

My wife an I have had the same conversation, not in front of friends though, and we had to come to agree that her loss of income is much easier to handle at that time then mine would be. But, I would never say that she HAD to stay home with the kids, only that she could work less and stay home with them if she wanted to spend more time with them. Everybody likes the option and choice when it comes to their career. There are plenty of families where both parents work full time and the kids are at the sitters for a good part of the day. My wife wants to work part time and stay home with the kids as much as possible, so it is easy for us to talk about it.
I can understand your difficulty though, it is not easy when two people have careers and still want to have a family life. Just be thankful that both you and your wife have great careers that can provide a good life for the family. It has to be a more difficult discussion when both husband and wife are making just over min wage.:scared:
What parts of CO are you working in? My wife and I met in Colorado Springs and we have been thinking of going back once I'm out of school.
Best way to deal with hurt feelings, buy flowers and learn the soothing art of massage therapy while practicing it often!:laugh:

I'm all for a fellow 'brotha' who knows the real art of making peace with his woman! We need a delicate balance of course. But, why even argue about careers... take time and cherish her instead! The lady who I hope (and if I continue to be lucky) will be my future wife... I cherish her. We've been dating four years! It so happens, I intend to be a PharmD and she a nurse. :love::laugh:

Here's what you retort:

"Wow, I'm sorry, it really isn't fair. As a pharmacist I get to set the professional boundaries of being more intelligent, better looking, and less bitchy - all while simultaneously having the ability to make more money - than the typical nurse....and you aren't overstepping your boundaries towards my realm of practice at all. I truly do apologize. Fatty."

That'll piss 'em off.

Here's what you retort:

"Wow, I'm sorry, it really isn't fair. As a pharmacist I get to set the professional boundaries of being more intelligent, better looking, and less bitchy - all while simultaneously having the ability to make more money - than the typical nurse....and you aren't overstepping your boundaries towards my realm of practice at all. I truly do apologize. Fatty."

That'll piss 'em off.

You are a real charmer.......

And you were alive when the Beatles were still together.

Ike was president when I was born. The Beatles hadn't even started playing together and Batista was still in Cuba. And that proves????? I When your handle is Old Timer, you're being pretty up front about your age.....

Being a charmer has nothing to do with age, it's a sate of mind or state of no mind.....

yeah..but people in WVU have bad livers...granny's XXX..