Bizarre chances question

Started by Oshkosh2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oshkosh2

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ms4 here who didn't enter the match this year after deciding to do a 1-year research gig in a different specialty. Looking back, ortho was the one rotation that really stuck with me. It took me a while to realize it but I'm not sure anything else compares.

I was wondering if it would be better to defer graduation for a year or do a sub-I at my home program over the next 6 weeks. This would be my only sub-I if I took this route. In talking with the program director at my school, I was told that this option is less desirable but still doable assuming I do a year of research (which I would plan to do).

My grades have been good (mostly Hs and HPs with an HP in surgery-- but good remarks and wrote me a LOR). Step 1 in the high 250s, step 2 of 270. Not an awkward person, etc.

I need to make my decision by the end of the week and wanted to see what others thought. At this point I'm almost like a blank slate -- no commitment to any other specialty.

Thanks
 
I believe you should delay graduation so that you go into the match as a US senior not a postgrad. Perhaps you could work something out with your school regarding tuition, etc, and you can get quality orthopedic research during your time off (you really only have till September/Early october = 6mo) to do research as well as your orthopedic rotation(s) and aways.

From a numbers standpoint, you're good to go obviously.