Black male Med student interested in OB/GYN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clutch24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As the title says, am a first year black male med student at a mid-tier school i think (one of the SUNYs) and I've always been (ever since I shadowed a gyn onc guy sophomore year of undergrad) really interested in ob/gyn.

So far, i haven't really expressed to anybody how much i really like OB/GYN. But, more specifically I hope to have the opportunity to do a Gyn Onc fellowship. I know its tough to get and that ill have to hustle hard to be one of the top students, but am prepared to do that.

Can you guys give me some insight on the obstacles that lay ahead of me, as not only a minority by race but also gender?

also, some info on how competitive ob/gyn residencies are, preferably university programs??

like what step score ranges, research, away rotations etc. are required/recommended?

Members don't see this ad.

This has been discussed numerous times.

Being a male in OB GYN is generally not a problem. There will be a certain subset of the female population that will not see a male provider for any reason (cultural/religious/personal etc). That goes with the territory.

I would go into your medical training with an open mind. You have only seen Gyn Onc which is a very sub specialized part of OB GYN that is more akin to general surgery than general OB GYN so I'm not sure how you can say you like OB GYN when you haven't experienced the OB portion. The match for Gyn Onc is challenging.

You have to ask yourself whether you will be happy being a general OB GYN if you don't match for a Gyn Onc fellowship. This means doing obstetrics/deliveries etc. If not, don't waste your time as residency will be miserable and your potential future will be miserable.

OB is not the most competitive specialty. It's gotten better but it's not on the level of ENT/Urology/Derm. Average step scores are lower than general surgery from what I recall. Do well on Step 1, maybe do any away, get good letters of rec, do well during third year. Research is nice but not required to be honest. You can do a search for the powerhouse programs.

This has been discussed numerous times.

Being a male in OB GYN is generally not a problem. There will be a certain subset of the female population that will not see a male provider for any reason (cultural/religious/personal etc). That goes with the territory.

I would go into your medical training with an open mind. You have only seen Gyn Onc which is a very sub specialized part of OB GYN that is more akin to general surgery than general OB GYN so I'm not sure how you can say you like OB GYN when you haven't experienced the OB portion. The match for Gyn Onc is challenging.

You have to ask yourself whether you will be happy being a general OB GYN if you don't match for a Gyn Onc fellowship. This means doing obstetrics/deliveries etc. If not, don't waste your time as residency will be miserable and your potential future will be miserable.

OB is not the most competitive specialty. It's gotten better but it's not on the level of ENT/Urology/Derm. Average step scores are lower than general surgery from what I recall. Do well on Step 1, maybe do any away, get good letters of rec, do well during third year. Research is nice but not required to be honest. You can do a search for the powerhouse programs.

Thanks for advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OP, I think it actually shows great insight that you're aware that some patients might be uncomfortable with this. Obviously, such bigotry is unwarranted and inappropriate, but it certainly exists.

Go in knowing that you'll do what you always need to do: be sensitive to the patient's needs and try to become as comfortable with the particulars of OB/GYN as possible. No matter what your demographic background, if you feel weird, so will the patient. As long as you work hard and know your stuff, you can rest assured that if any patient does take issue with you, it's ultimately their shortcoming, not yours.

I'm a non-black female and had a black male OB deliver my child. I shopped around for an OB and settled on him because he was clearly competent, had a no-BS communication style and was a very nice person. He had a booming practice with rave reviews right up until he retired a couple of years ago.

I think it is great that you are focused on a subspecialty but you can change your mind a few times between now and when it is time to apply for fellowships, so keep an open mind. OBGYN is becoming more competitive, step scores have been extremely high this year, 260-270+ in some cases. We received over 600 applications for six spots. If you are interested in a competitive academic program, then research would be a plus. We look for it in our applicants. You will also need some honors in your clerkships, of course OB, Surgery and Medicine would be beneficial. As far as being a male in OBGYN, you will not have a problem finding a spot, doesn't matter what your race is. You will be fine.

I think it is great that you are focused on a subspecialty but you can change your mind a few times between now and when it is time to apply for fellowships, so keep an open mind. OBGYN is becoming more competitive, step scores have been extremely high this year, 260-270+ in some cases. We received over 600 applications for six spots. If you are interested in a competitive academic program, then research would be a plus. We look for it in our applicants. You will also need some honors in your clerkships, of course OB, Surgery and Medicine would be beneficial. As far as being a male in OBGYN, you will not have a problem finding a spot, doesn't matter what your race is. You will be fine.

Thanks.

Am def. interested in competitive academic programs.

Plan on doing research this summer, hopefully in gyn.

I know It would be ideal for me to score in the 260s on the steps, but the chances of that happening are slim. Am not implying that am incapable of doing so, it's just that few people reach that level.

Thus, what would be a realistic score to aim for if I want to match at a top academic program?

It is nice to have high USMLE scores but you need to have a good transcript to back it up. I have seen high scores with an average transcript - HP/P. The board scores I mentioned above are more the exception than the rule, but they have been higher the past few years. OBGYN has become more competitive over the past 5-6 years. When we had our rank meeting last year, we were still seriously discussing our applicants who ranked 40th because that is how strong the field was. When you are applying to a "competitive academic program", you need to have something that makes you stand out from your peers, other than USMLE scores and clerkship grades.

I don't think race or gender are an issue. I think it's great that you are looking ahead and focusing on what you really want. OB/GYN is a moderately competitive specialty right now and seems to be getting more competitive. Look on the NRMP website for data relating to the match -- especially Charting Outcomes In The Match which will give you a good view of what the OB applicant pool has looked like in terms of Board scores etc. It goes without saying -- do the best you can on the Boards and your clerkships -- because even in a moderately competitive specialty the top programs are still highly competitive. If you can, start doing gyn onc research as early as possible -- it would be amazing if you started research in medical school that you could continue in residency. I note that you go to a SUNY school, if you are located near NYC, Memorial Sloan Kettering might be a good place to try or if you are in Buffalo try Roswell. Of course, your school's OB/GYN department should have gyn onc research opportunities as well. This, of course, is looking ahead but when you are a resident doing research, presenting and publishing will be crucial when you apply for fellowship (imagine, if you started doing this now!). As you have only just started medical school, I would mostly maintain my focus on getting the best grades and Board scores I can -- because no matter what you decide to do with your life these two things will be crucial in applying for residency and getting the best residency you can. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!