Black suit or gray suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need to buy a new suit for this job interview next week. But I might use the same suit for medical school interviews as well this coming fall.
Do you guys think I should buy a black suit or a charcoal gray suit? I heard people say that all the pre-meds wear black to interviews, and it looks like a funeral. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I went with a dark blue. Different, but not outrageous.

I like gray, however navy is also a really good color. I avoid black suits at all costs.

Also: Chemnerd's sig is the best ever

One more thing: If I have an acceptance somewhere and another interview or two, I plan on wearing a powder blue zoot suit to one and a Redskins' jersey to the next.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of black suit, white shirt, and black necktie. Do you guys think this all-black is way too depressing?
If I buy a gray one, then what color shirt and tie should I buy?
I don't know how important clothing is for interviews, sorry if I sound way too picky.:oops:

Navy is considered the most formal. Pure black can be a bit harsh (i.e. funerary) so some subtle patterning is advisable with black.

Gray is a good all-around choice unless you are interviewing in a very formal environment, where everyone wears a suit every day, in which case I would go with navy.

(I wore suits to work for the better part of ten years, FWIW.)

ETA: A white shirt is most conservative for interviews. A red tie with a simple pattern is interchangeable with any combination of black/blue/gray suit and white shirt.

Last edited:
I like gray, however navy is also a really good color. I avoid black suits at all costs.

Also: Chemnerd's sig is the best ever

One more thing: If I have an acceptance somewhere and another interview or two, I plan on wearing a powder blue zoot suit to one and a Redskins' jersey to the next.

I was sad to see premeddiva get banned. It was a nice few hours of hilarity.

I was thinking of black suit, white shirt, and black necktie. Do you guys think this all-black is way too depressing?
I don't know how important clothing is for interviews, sorry if I sound way too picky.:oops:

I would, go with a gray suit with a white shirt and a black tie with some kind of stripes.

Everyone knows a black suit makes up for a poor GPA/MCAT while a gray suit is an instant reject.

Seriously, who gives a f*** what color the suit is? Go with the suit you look the best in.

BTW - If this is for next week you are cutting it very close on tailoring.

funny-pictures-cool-pixel-tie-uOK.jpg

This will get you in.

When I was going on a hospital tour during an interview, all the guys were wearing dark suits except for one in a gray suit. We were in the elevator and a doctor gets in with us. He looks at the guy and says, "He's not getting in! He's wearing a gray suit!" Everyone kinda laughed, but the kid looked a little disturbed. True story.

anything but black. Grey or navy blue looks good.

When I was going on a hospital tour during an interview, all the guys were wearing dark suits except for one in a gray suit. We were in the elevator and a doctor gets in with us. He looks at the guy and says, "He's not getting in! He's wearing a gray suit!" Everyone kinda laughed, but the kid looked a little disturbed. True story.
I think the disturbed look is understanding. Getting singled out for your suit choice would suck.

I personally like navy suits, so I would recommend a navy suit. But to each his own.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I need to buy a new suit for this job interview next week. But I might use the same suit for medical school interviews as well this coming fall.
Do you guys think I should buy a black suit or a charcoal gray suit? I heard people say that all the pre-meds wear black to interviews, and it looks like a funeral. What do you guys think?

If you wear a black suit you should be shot on sight. You're not at a funeral nor are you a Reservoir Dog.

Now a charcoal suit is something that would look good. In fact, the only two color suits you should wear to an interview or any other event in which conservative attire is required would be charcoal and navy suits. No pinstripes, but chalkstripe is ok. White shirt. Black shoes, black belt, conservative tie.

If you wear a black suit you should be shot on sight. You're not at a funeral nor are you a Reservoir Dog.

Now a charcoal suit is something that would look good. In fact, the only two color suits you should wear to an interview or any other event in which conservative attire is required would be charcoal and navy suits. No pinstripes, but chalkstripe is ok. White shirt. Black shoes, black belt, conservative tie.

Wow, overreact much?

and only two options to wear to a conservative event? Please. :rolleyes:

I would recommend charcoal with pin stripes. You just gotta check it out in the mirror to see what color looks sharp on you. Sure, a lot of people were wearing black on interview day...but who cares? No one is taking notes on whether your appearance is acceptable or not. Most of the minor details will fall through the cracks as long as they aren't blinding to the eye.

caveat: I will say at one of my interviews some guy was wearing a cream colored suit and stuck out like a sore thumb. He was also 6'4" or so and much taller than everyone else. One of the admissions people asked for his name and jokingly said she would remember it. Wonder if he got in...

I don't look good in black. My suit is gray with somewhat of a brown tone.

I wore a light Grey suit to all of the interviews that I had. It was commented on in a positive light (ie that makes you stand out, helps us remember...) at 4 of the 5. But, tons of people wear black/blue as well. Really, I don't think it matters as much as long as it looks professional. Real them in with what you say in the interview, not the color of your tie.

Wow, overreact much?

and only two options to wear to a conservative event? Please. :rolleyes:

I would recommend charcoal with pin stripes. You just gotta check it out in the mirror to see what color looks sharp on you. Sure, a lot of people were wearing black on interview day...but who cares? No one is taking notes on whether your appearance is acceptable or not. Most of the minor details will fall through the cracks as long as they aren't blinding to the eye.

caveat: I will say at one of my interviews some guy was wearing a cream colored suit and stuck out like a sore thumb. He was also 6'4" or so and much taller than everyone else. One of the admissions people asked for his name and jokingly said she would remember it. Wonder if he got in...

Pinstripes should be reserved for high-ranking business types, professional basketball players, and mobsters. Learn a thing or two about clothing before you go off giving advice to wear pinstripes to a med school interview.

-

Last edited:
I wore a charcoal suit to my interviews.

I think pinstripes are fine as long as they are thin/light pinstripes, don't wear any of that quarter inch pinstripe stuff.

Unless you wear something completly outlandish it is not going to hurt you. Just stick with conservative attire and you'll be fine.

I wore a charcoal suit to my interviews.

I think pinstripes are fine as long as they are thin/light pinstripes, don't wear any of that quarter inch pinstripe stuff.

Unless you wear something completly outlandish it is not going to hurt you. Just stick with conservative attire and you'll be fine.

You would be speaking of chalkstripes, which ARE fine to wear.

Bright, bold pinstripes should not be worn to an interview.

never wear a black suit unless youre going to a funeral or its formal wear (tux)

Color doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable and look professional. Personally I wouldn't go black with white shirt and black tie, it looks a little too formal and tuxedo-like. Black, navy, or gray suit, with a nice shirt (white, blue, or pink) and a conservative tie (that doesn't mean black or boring, just not your tie with the Dilbert cartoon on it).

Classic never goes out of style.

Although that can be a bit of circular reasoning, since what never goes out of style is classic. ;)

Three-piece is considered classic, but it may not be a great look for those under the age of 40.

Bold striping is probably not considered classic unless your overcoat is concealing a shotgun.

A plain black suit has always been considered less appropriate for interviews than gray or blue. It is certainly preferable to jeans and a t-shirt and may be preferable to a brown suit, depending on how conservative the interviewers are (and your race).

There is nothing wrong with stripes, as long as they are subtle. For example, thin blue threads in a black fabric make it better business material. You don't see a lot of plain black suits worn on a regular basis in the business world. You don't see a lot of plain black ties either.

Over the course of a lot of interviews, I noted that young guys who have had few occasions to wear suits tend to go for black suit/white shirt/black tie. Older applicants with more experience tended to wear gray or navy with a colored tie (frequently red or blue). Applicants over 40 often wore three-piece or double-breasted, but never in plain black.

i personally like green... but gray works too.

Pinstripes should be reserved for high-ranking business types, professional basketball players, and mobsters. Learn a thing or two about clothing before you go off giving advice to wear pinstripes to a med school interview.

You would be speaking of chalkstripes, which ARE fine to wear.

Bright, bold pinstripes should not be worn to an interview.

Stop splitting hairs, man.

chalk stripes:
1724medium_2.jpg

pin stripes:
XSJCHR

Hey, what do you know...they look the same! Both chalk stripes and pin stripes can be bright and bold or subtle and professional. Chalk stripes by definition are actually WIDER...not sure if that's what you're really going for either. Learn to use google to verify your innane assumptions and assertions before you go around telling people what they can and cannot do in a medical school interview.

Last edited:
Look at the ssuit Tom Cruise wears in the movie Collateral. Match it with a black tie. Works in almost every situation.

Also, it is so fashionable these days to hate black suits. But look at the people doing the hating. They are the ones wearing the 3 pieces with thick pinstripes and square-toed shoes.

Classic never goes out of style.

I don't know, that shade of light gray on Cruise makes you look too old.
I think I'm going to stick with charcoal gray, since the consensus seems that black is too formal/funeral-like.
As for the shirt color and the tie, I'm just going to let the tailor choose them. Thanks.

cat-shoe-sale-oh-girl-hold-on-are-those-shoes-on-s1.jpg

Stop splitting hairs, man.

chalk stripes:
1724medium_2.jpg

pin stripes:
XSJCHR

Hey, what do you know...they look the same! Both chalk stripes and pin stripes can be bright and bold or subtle and professional. Chalk stripes by definition are actually WIDER...not sure if that's what you're really going for either. Learn to use google to verify your innane assumptions and assertions before you go around telling people what they can and cannot do in a medical school interview.

Whatever. I learned that if you're wearing stripes to an interview, they should be of the faint variety, not the bold variety. Call it whatever you want.

And no, I wouldn't wear the suit in picture #1 to an interview, even if those are called chalkstripes.

I say gray. I sported a gray one with pinstripes and a dark blue (which looked black).

Color doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable and look professional. Personally I wouldn't go black with white shirt and black tie, it looks a little too formal and tuxedo-like. Black, navy, or gray suit, with a nice shirt (white, blue, or pink) and a conservative tie (that doesn't mean black or boring, just not your tie with the Dilbert cartoon on it).

:thumbup: Best advice in the thread.

What do you guys think about Jalen Rose draft day suit? Think that will stand out too much?

Definitely charcoal gray, that's what I personally chose ;).
Looks sharp, serious, and professional. Go with either white, light blue, light lavender, or light pink shirt under.

I actually think black is too serious for an interview, its either for funerals or like very formal occasions.
-Roy

Navy is considered the most formal.
Really?

Another question (based on your years of suit experience) with a Navy suit do you wear brown or black shoes?

-Roy

This is one of those things I never paid attention to...I just went to Nordstrom Rack, picked out a random suit that fit me, and wore it to all my interviews. I don't even know what brand or color it is (black or some dark blue?) :laugh:

Another question (based on your years of suit experience) with a Navy suit do you wear brown or black shoes?

You can go either way with a navy suit, but I would stick with black shoes for interviews.

There are a lot of fashion rules for suits, most of which are widely ignored without consequence. But, you never know when the guy sitting across from you learned all those rules and wants to stick it to the world.

You can go either way with a navy suit, but I would stick with black shoes for interviews.

There are a lot of fashion rules for suits, most of which are widely ignored without consequence. But, you never know when the guy sitting across from you learned all those rules and wants to stick it to the world.

I'm not a fashionista but I try to abide by the "suit rules."
Black shoes seem like they match navy better colorwise but I remember someone telling me its one of those counter-intuitive things and you're supposed to go with brown.
-Roy

Tight, fitted, all black, no stripes, and go crazy on the tie.

I personally like grey, but i have blue eyes and like how they go together lol