Blackberry or Palm pilot

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somebODy else

Finally: Pacific 4th year
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be a first year student at Pacific this fall and I've never had a PDA or similar device. I'm wondering if anyone has any insights as to which type and model might be most appropriate for a future optometrist considering software availabilities/compatabilities and general characteristics. There's big talk about medical reference software and office organizing features but I'm unsure of which platform to begin getting the hang of. So, any opinions and input would be appreciated . . .

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

somebODy else said:
I'll be a first year student at Pacific this fall and I've never had a PDA or similar device. I'm wondering if anyone has any insights as to which type and model might be most appropriate for a future optometrist considering software availabilities/compatabilities and general characteristics. There's big talk about medical reference software and office organizing features but I'm unsure of which platform to begin getting the hang of. So, any opinions and input would be appreciated . . .

Thanks!

Blackberrys are great for Outlook-served email and not much else. ePocrates was available first on the PalmOS and now on Windows Mobile 5 and downward. I would stay with Palm OS or Windows PDAs such as the IPAQ line.

SCO recommended everybody get a Dell Axim.

Members don't see this ad :)
stevec said:
SCO recommended everybody get a Dell Axim.
I second that. Get an Axim. Or at least get something with Windows Mobile 2003 or Windows Mobile 5 (newest one). It's awesome, so much functionality. Except I wished it had GSM capabilities. Since you can find many programs on the 'net (legally of course :idea: ). Check out www.aximsite.com

Hey stevec, any tips on programs to use in opt. school? Which ones you got or does SCO recommend?

I like Palm personally...anything non-microsoft is my thing. Blackberry will not help you. Microsoft of Palm is the way to go.

ML1983 said:
I second that. Get an Axim. Or at least get something with Windows Mobile 2003 or Windows Mobile 5 (newest one). It's awesome, so much functionality. Except I wished it had GSM capabilities. Since you can find many programs on the 'net (legally of course :idea: ). Check out www.aximsite.com

Hey stevec, any tips on programs to use in opt. school? Which ones you got or does SCO recommend?
So far I just have whatever came with it. I assume SCO is going to get the programs for us, whatever it is thats supposed to make these things worth it. Maybe we'll get that with our books in the fall? Anyways, mine came in today. I took it out of the box, admired its spiffylookingness, and put it back in the box. So far it's a really slick looking paper weight.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
stevec said:
spiffylookingness

I love that word. That is exactly what I did with the laptop I just purchased (as required by Pacific). I took it out... noted the "spiffylookingness" and put it on my shelf.

On a related note, I noticed when purchasing my Dell laptop from Costco that they have a package that comes with a Dell Latitude D620 (or something like that) and a Dell Axim PDA. The OP may want to look into it!

rpames said:
I like Palm personally...anything non-microsoft is my thing. Blackberry will not help you. Microsoft of Palm is the way to go.

I have an HP IPAQ that I really like.