Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Blacklist....

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by fromjersey, Apr 8, 2007.

1. fromjersey

Pre-Medical
    Is that just a myth????

#1 fromjersey, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cyrille104

What type of blacklist are you talking about?

4. fromjersey

Pre-Medical

#3 fromjersey, Apr 8, 2007
  5. cyrille104

Oh ok, I thought you meant an undergrad blacklist, like the people accepted from a certain school generally don't do as well...which I've heard of for undegrads/high schools but not vet schools/undergrads.

I don't know if there's a blacklist or not, but if you're a jerk in the interview they'll probably take your name down and not consider you again.

6. twosoakers

twosoakers Addict & Western U '11

Veterinary Student
    from the conspiracy theorist herself: "i'd believe it."

7. fromjersey

Pre-Medical

#6 fromjersey, Apr 8, 2007
  8. AuburnPreVet

AuburnPreVet AU CVM Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    My guess would be that this is purely a creation of the typical "pre-med/vet" stress. As disfunctional as most academic institutions are, I don't see how there could be a central source/database for these types of things. It is possible that an adcom may have a friend at another school and they toss back and forth info on their "terrible" applicants/interviews.. but as far as a widespread blacklist I personally don't buy it.

9. KittenKiller

KittenKiller chop suey

Veterinary Student
    What boggles my mind most about that thread is that people with 10,000+ posts are posting in it. How do you get that many posts?

Some sort of general "blacklist" sounds like BS to me, although Im sure if you did something like have a psychotic episode at your interview or something equally outrageous thered be a big red mark in your file for future years and youd have a lot of redeeming to do.

10. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    Yeah, the pre-allo people take their posting seriously. There have been a lot of threads in pre-allo about whether it is frowned upon to turn down an acceptance and then reapply the next year. There have been several people that shared their success stories with doing that, though I imagine that some schools do look at turning down an acceptance negatively.

11. fromjersey

Pre-Medical

#10 fromjersey, Apr 8, 2007
  12. runnerDC

runnerDC Tufts - class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    I don't know about the existence of a black-list (even for me, living in DC, that seems a little too conspiracy-theorist!).

I posted this somewhere else, but do feel it bears mention here, as well. The AAVMC has the legal right to share information about offers of admission and admission status amongst the schools that you designate. When you sign and submit your app, you are agreeing with their privacy policy stating so.

See point #1 of:
    http://aavmc.org/vmcas/documents/AAVMCPrivacyPolicy.pdf

I doubt busy admissions officers are spending all of their time comparing lists, etc, but it certainly appears that they have access to the information should they wish to see it.

13. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011

Pre-Veterinary
    Never heard of such a list, if it exists.

But I can believe that people might be remembered if they do something really off the wall-disturbed, violent, or any exteme behaviors. I seriously doubt they would 'blacklist' people for any sort of average academic or experience reason.

14. fromjersey

Pre-Medical
    Never heard of such a list, if it exists.

#13 fromjersey, Apr 9, 2007
  15. QTkitty

QTkitty CSU PVM class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    I find it hard to believe that a list like this actually exists based on shear volume of applicants. If you consider the number of people applying each year I really don't think they would take the time to keep track of people they don't want- it would be too much work.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. twosoakers

twosoakers Addict & Western U '11

Veterinary Student
    at some schools the head of the ad com makes the final call on whether you're admitted or not. as i've noted previously, the head of my ad com didn't particularly 'approve' of me because he said i was insulting both my current graduate program (a liberal arts graduate program) as well as the school's program because i was already so advanced in the prior (the prior being so disparate).

i firmly believe that you can get tacked for something, and in small communities you'll be remembered.