Bleaching questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental916

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the outcomes of a in office vs at home kit(provided by dentist) the same? I understand that in office would give a quicker result.

Which of the 2 procedures last longer? How much time could you expect?

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, using both the Zoom 2 system and the opalescence 15% take home kit, both on pateints and on myself, eventually, both results are the same. The chairside systems such as Zoom, vary with results depending on the patient, and sensitivity seems to correlate with the amount of whitening that occurs (although I have no research on that). Some patients may have to come in for 2 treatments for ideal results (I know at our school that is the policy). However, in my opinion, the take home trays with the 15% give the best results after 6-8 sessions. Zoom/Boost or other chairside treatments give an immedite result, but really have to be followed up with trays at home anyway to maintain results, and some patients may not respond as well as others to the chairside treatments and may have to use the trays in order to achieve ideal results. Basically, if you have a wedding/big event coming up and need results ASAP (within a weeks time) spend the money for chairside bleaching, otherwise go for the trays... less money, same results if not better,not much more time, and you will have them forever....

PS - the light really doesn't do anything, it is the percent of active ingredient that makes the difference between chairside and take home....

:D

From my experience, using both the Zoom 2 system and the opalescence 15% take home kit, both on pateints and on myself, eventually, both results are the same. The chairside systems such as Zoom, vary with results depending on the patient, and sensitivity seems to correlate with the amount of whitening that occurs (although I have no research on that). Some patients may have to come in for 2 treatments for ideal results (I know at our school that is the policy). However, in my opinion, the take home trays with the 15% give the best results after 6-8 sessions. Zoom/Boost or other chairside treatments give an immedite result, but really have to be followed up with trays at home anyway to maintain results, and some patients may not respond as well as others to the chairside treatments and may have to use the trays in order to achieve ideal results. Basically, if you have a wedding/big event coming up and need results ASAP (within a weeks time) spend the money for chairside bleaching, otherwise go for the trays... less money, same results if not better,not much more time, and you will have them forever....

PS - the light really doesn't do anything, it is the percent of active ingredient that makes the difference between chairside and take home....

:D

Dead on!:thumbup: There is a reason my most in office systems reccomend follow up home bleaching to achieve the best results. Think about it:idea: Bleaching in a nutshell is a function of bleach strength and time applied. Balance those 2 with patient comfort, and you'll get the best results FOR THAT SPECIFIC CASE

On a side note, I notice a majority of the time that my patients that ask me about bleaching are the ones whose teeth are already a light shade to begin with (Vita A-2 or lighter), and those are the ones where I really need to take the time and give them a REALISTIC expectation about what bleaching could do for them, since most of them tend to think that their teeth are "awfull", "gross", "disgusting" or a variable host of other self depricating adjectives!:rolleyes: Without taking a few minutes of time to explain to this population, you'll end up with a patient who in all likelyhood whitened a few shades to B-1 or lighter, but STILL thinks their teeth are one of those great adjectives! Suprisingly enough this population tends to be females between the age of their teens to 40's:rolleyes: The same demographic that makes up the largest consumers of dental cosmetic proceedures!

Members don't see this ad :)
i've used the at-home opalescence and it worked great. i got compliments pretty much daily for quite a while. after 6 years of drinkin diet pepsi tho, they've turned a shade or two darker. as far as 'how long does it last', it all depends on the patient and what they eat/drink and how they care for their teeth.

Dead on!:thumbup: There is a reason my most in office systems reccomend follow up home bleaching to achieve the best results. Think about it:idea: Bleaching in a nutshell is a function of bleach strength and time applied. Balance those 2 with patient comfort, and you'll get the best results FOR THAT SPECIFIC CASE

On a side note, I notice a majority of the time that my patients that ask me about bleaching are the ones whose teeth are already a light shade to begin with (Vita A-2 or lighter), and those are the ones where I really need to take the time and give them a REALISTIC expectation about what bleaching could do for them, since most of them tend to think that their teeth are "awfull", "gross", "disgusting" or a variable host of other self depricating adjectives!:rolleyes: Without taking a few minutes of time to explain to this population, you'll end up with a patient who in all likelyhood whitened a few shades to B-1 or lighter, but STILL thinks their teeth are one of those great adjectives! Suprisingly enough this population tends to be females between the age of their teens to 40's:rolleyes: The same demographic that makes up the largest consumers of dental cosmetic proceedures!

When my patients desire at-home tray bleaching, many times I will recommend to bleach one arch at a time. That way they will see the difference over time and understand that the stuff is working. I know what you mean though. Some patients will have the B-1 look and think that they can go whiter without looking like their hosting a game show (or maybe that's what they're shooting for) :laugh: