Blood Banking Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LabTechGirl

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How's everybody! 🙂

Am a new member here, mostly lurking around to see what's going on, not really sure if this is right forum to ask specific question about blood banking. I am currently a student taking blood banking right now and everything is new to me as far as the subject. I do have reference books and do online searches but I seem feel stuck .With a lot of information to grasp and the need to associate all this info to understand a concept is a bit overwhelming to me..Anyway, pardon my question coz they might be very basic but I need other people's perspective on this for additional info...(you know the kind when you find a certain textbook a bit confusing and then you go to a different textbook to see if it can explain it clearer?)...

Anyway, in our case studies it was saying:

When solving the antibody identification cases:
1) The following antibodies are ruled out without regard to the zygosity of the rule out cells on the screen and panel: D, P1, K, Lua, Lub, Kpa, and Kpb

2) The following antibodies are ruled out using homozygous rule out cells only: C, E, c, e, M, N, S, s, Lea, Leb, k, Fya, Fyb, Jka, Jkb

3) If the following antibodies are NOT ruled out using the routine panel and screen cells, you need NOT select additional cells to do so: Cw, Lua, Lub, Kpa, Kpb, Jsa and Jsb


Could anybody tell me about the rule of zygosity/homozygous?

I have attached a sample case study I am working on....View attachment Case_07.pdf


Thank you! 😳
 
Could anybody tell me about the rule of zygosity/homozygous?


Some antigens can be rule out with any lack of reaction, others need to be homozygous before they can be ruled out...