1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

Blood Supply, arteries in Physical therapy

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by 2017DPT, Sep 9, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. 2017DPT

2017DPT

Sep 12, 2016
    Hi guys,
    I am about 2 months into PT school and I am taking gross anatomy. I am constantly wondering how applicable some of the material we are learning are to PT.

I was wondering what is everyone's thoughts about understanding arteries and blood supply as a physical therapist?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. noyceguy

noyceguy 7+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2010
    You will be reading medial charts and speaking to doctors and nurses. They will expect you to have an understanding of basic gross anatomy. So, highly applicable.

PTMattI likes this.
  4. MikeWade

MikeWade

Apr 2, 2017
    I was a gross anatomy TA for 3 years. Why in the world do you need to know the recurrent laryngeal nerve or the various branches xyz blood vessel. Well after all is said and done, the 3d image of the human body that you will have developed in your head, will be invaluable to understanding the patient laying on the table. Learning arteries and small bony landmarks that you will never palpate or remember help to build that image and understanding.

Fact: the recurrent laryngeal nerve in a gyraf takes a 15 ft detour.

gross anatomy should expand your mind

Azimuthal and Bones26 like this.
  5. NewTestament

NewTestament 5+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Itinerant
    You're a physical therapist and yes you should know human anatomy. You will see these terms in medical literature too.