Blood Transfusion Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the most common pathogen transmitted by Transfusion?
RR Path, page 267=CMV
FA 2009, page 502=Hep C
Goljan audio-->I think he says Hep C? But that was in '04 or so

In RR, the explanation for CMV seems correct. I can't remember what we learned throughout the school year. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this, or did Uworld give an answer?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought Goljan said Hep B is most common infection, but CMV is most common antibody present

Goljan audio says Hep B because the viral load is like 10 times greater than any other disease.

but it seems like CMV would be the correct answer - i have read this in some other medical textbook also, can't remember which one

Members don't see this ad :)
As of 2006, the risk of acquiring hepatitis B via blood transfusion in the United States is about 1 in 250,000 units transfused, and the risk of acquiring HIV or hepatitis C in the U.S. via a blood transfusion is estimated at 1 in 2,000,000 (2 million) units transfused

But CMV is intracellular so its likely also....

I think y'all are mixing up infection via transfusion with an accidental needlestick.

Transfusion: CMV
Needlestick from a rando: HBV

I think y'all are mixing up infection via transfusion with an accidental needlestick.

Transfusion: CMV
Needlestick from a rando: HBV

Is CMV really the most common transfused pathogen? That sounds a little strange because that seems difficult to prove. Most people who are immuno-competent just develop cold-like Sx if they develop Sx at all, so there would be no way to really accurately gauge CMV infection rates, I'd believe. I thought CMV infection was mainly just associated with organ transplantation, based on the cyclosporine the patient is on pre- and post-operatively.

As far as needle sticks are concerned, the chances of contracting the disease if stuck: HepB (~30-40%), HepC (~10-15%), HIV (~0.30-0.45%). That's just based on what I recall from Kaplan QBook.