blood type

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DaAlienist

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible for mother (O) and father (AB) to produce an offspring with AB blood type? I got a question wrong under the assumption that that kind of matching could happen through mutation.
 
Is it possible for mother (O) and father (AB) to produce an offspring with AB blood type? I got a question wrong under the assumption that that kind of matching could happen through mutation.

I don't think it's possible because mother would have ii and father would have iaib. So the only combination you can get it iai or ibi which is A or B blood type.


I don't think you can assume mutations can happen unless the question somehow refers to it.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Like if a questions asks me to explain something odd, then I can look for an answer abut mutations if it has not been mentioned yet?

I would just recommend that you use the information provided by the question, assuming normal conditions. And if the question mentions a mutation that could lead to a different genotype than expected in the offspring, then you could make the assumption that you originally did.