Blueprints/Recall/First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12R34Y

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any opinions on Blueprints/Recall or first aid for EM clerkship.

what is your personal experience with either of them?

which is not too brief, but also not Rosen's?

thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't like blueprints at all poorly organized and not enough details. I used Secrets the book and on PDA 5 min EM consult.

i personally like the "just the facts in EM" condesed version of Tintinalli's it's short enough to be readable sections but evidence based with references...this topic is disussed previously with lots of opinions on the major books out there...search or scroll down to maybe June.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the mini tintinalli's from a drug rep, haven't looked at it but will be using it on my *finally* first full month as an intern in the ED in November, I"ll let you know how useful it is. I found Top 30 Problems in EM from EMRA to be very useful (even now) on an EM elective. I bought First Aid for EM Clerkship, its an excellent tool for Step 2 review.
Q, DO

Best book. I swear.

Pocket EM by the people from Harvard. Similar to the black Pocket Medicine. Its arranged by chief complaint. Simply wonderful in its elegance...

If you can spare the money, either Skyscape's 5 Minute Emergency Consult or Pepid for Emergency Medicine for your handheld (assuming you have one). This advice is for Quinn as well. I carry absolutely zero paper references with me now, and have since my senior year in residency. 5MEC is easier to use, as the format (and the font) is quicker and easier to get around. Pepid seems to have a greater breadth of content, but in the areas that 5MEC covers, it covers it pretty well. Obviously you don't expect Rosen's level of detail, but you don't want that much info most of the time anyway.

For the handheld I'd recommend 5 minute EM or Outlines in Clinical Medicine. OCM isn't really EM based, but has everything and is very readable.

For mini-books, I used "Top 30" and Signs and Symptoms in EM. While S&S was not as detailed as the mini-Tintinalli, it had a lot of nice color images ripped right from top derm and ortho books. The fractures chapter was priceless. Pretty good differential based text. Smaller than mini-Tintinalli, too.