BME programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scooter31

'Ello Guv'nah!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious what schools (that also have a med school) have strong BME programs. Didnt find too much on this website -- anyone have some input? Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

scooter31 said:
Hi all,

Just curious what schools (that also have a med school) have strong BME programs. Didnt find too much on this website -- anyone have some input? Thanks! :thumbup:

Depends on what you want to do. In terms of prestige, etc., probably the top lab in the country is Langer's at MIT (chemical engineering, btw).

For BME specific programs, the top two that stand out are JHU and Duke. UIUC is probably the top engineering school in the country, and they have a med school, but I am not sure about their BME program. Georgia Tech's program is outstanding, and while they obviously don't have a med school, Emory does, and there is a lot of collaboration between the two. Most of the California schools boast outstanding BME programs. UCSD is probably their best. Also, check into some of the larger public schools. Lots of money and top researchers usually correlate well into top programs (UWisc, UT, for example).

Hope this helps some.

JETER said:
Depends on what you want to do. In terms of prestige, etc., probably the top lab in the country is Langer's at MIT (chemical engineering, btw).

For BME specific programs, the top two that stand out are JHU and Duke. UIUC is probably the top engineering school in the country, and they have a med school, but I am not sure about their BME program. Georgia Tech's program is outstanding, and while they obviously don't have a med school, Emory does, and there is a lot of collaboration between the two. Most of the California schools boast outstanding BME programs. UCSD is probably their best. Also, check into some of the larger public schools. Lots of money and top researchers usually correlate well into top programs (UWisc, UT, for example).

Hope this helps some.

thanks for the input. Yeah doing the MIT thing now (a joint MIT/HMS imaging lab), but was curious what else was out there, as I am not applying to Boston area medschools.

Looking for a place where I can do biomedical imaging, and hopefully dabble in neurobio as well... :thumbup: