BME vs. Biology

M3233

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a high school junior who is having a little trouble deciding between pursuing a major in biology (in cellular/molecular if the school has it) or biomedical engineering. I plan to be pre-med

I love cellular/molecular biology and it comes very easy to me. I also really like the idea of biomedical engineering and designing things for the human body. I've taken upper level physics and math (AP Physics I last year, AP Calc BC this year) and always done ok, getting low A's in classes and a 4 on the AP Physics exam. It just doesn't seem to come as naturally to me though as it does to some of my classmates, but I do seem to have a natural aptitude for biology. Math and physics don't really interest me in their abstract form, but I like their application to biology.

I'm wondering if for these reasons I would be better suited for biology, especially when considering what will help me receive the highest grade. How much does BME hinge on liking/excelling in pure physics/math? How strong is the role of biology in BME? Does this vary by school?

I wish I could get to college and test out both fields, but many of the colleges I would like to apply to have separate applications for engineering and arts and sciences. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

BME will be very math/physics/mechanics heavy for the first half of the degree w/ a sprinkling of biology (so I'd say that even if you don't "like" those subjects, you'll have to be proficient to be successful). Think of it as mechanical engineering w/ biological applications. If you are more into the bio side of things, you may find the amount of bio in BME to be lacking (until you get to upper level courses/electives). At the end of the day, you don't need a 4.0 to get into med school but if you're struggling to keep a 3.5, then it may not be the best option to do the BME.

IMO, you could start off as a BME for a year or so, see how you do and continue or switch to pure bio.

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest following @eteshoe 's advice to start off in BME, then evaluate how you perform and where your interests are after the first year. It is easier to switch to bio from BME than the other way around.

Reactions: 1 user