BMT VS LYMPHOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faisal 2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Currently I’m F1 hematology
I am very interested to do either (BMT or lymphoma) as sub
I do not know which one is good as future job with better salary

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I think both are academic and would be lower salary although you hear whispers of a few “private practice” BMT people that make good money

Reactions: 1 user
I think both are academic and would be lower salary although you hear whispers of a few “private practice” BMT people that make good money

Thank you for your input

what do you think what field in hematology has highest salary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input

what do you think what field in hematology has highest salary?
If you’re talking about highest pay (and not like a pure guaranteed salary) it would probably be ownership in a well run private practice where you work like a dog and see a little bit if everything, but that isn’t for everyone.

The problem with lymphoma IMO is that it isn’t so common that you can jampack your clinic schedule full enough with purely lymphoma, and in addition a lot of those patients end up needing inpatient chemo and/or referral to BMT/CART where someone else will be making money from it but you won’t.

The problem with BMT/CART is similar, most of those jobs are academic/hospital employed so again someone else will be making boatloads of money off it but you won’t.

I’m not far out of fellowship so take my opinions with a little grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 users
A pure single-disease hem mal position will be hard (not impossible) to come by in a higher paying community/PP position. Even the largest such groups (thinking some of the Texas Onc, Intermountain and PAMF groups) won't have enough pure lymphoma or cellular therapy work to keep you busy all the time, so you'll need to be more broadly focused than that.

If your goal is strictly money, as stated above, a true PP gig where you see everything and maybe work yourself up to be the "lymphoma person" is the best choice. If your goal is a single disease focused practice, academia (with the attendant pay cut) is the surest path.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, at least under current conditions, lymphoma is generally an outpatient practice (with some obvious exceptions) and cellular therapy is generally an inpatient practice (again, with exceptions).

Reactions: 2 users
not that hard to find a BMT job making over 500k. A million a year is possible in a few unicorn private practices. Will be much harder to get there with lymphoma alone.

Reactions: 1 users
Many of the well paying BMT jobs are in groups that really work for it (Northside in Atlanta, Hackensack in NJ, CBCI, etc) and require at least a few years of BMT attending experience. 500-700+

For a new fellowship grad, most available positions will be academic and low paying (unless the program is very busy and compensation is tied to RVUs). Mid 200s, mostly. Which is criminally low, given how much money transplant brings in

Reactions: 5 users