Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha, nope. Resident here. I'm the poor trying to help the poor. :panda:

Most people only need Kenny/Spiegel +/- Beat the Boards

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha, nope. Resident here. I'm the poor trying to help the poor. :panda:
I'll let you know if I need it. I don't think I will retake it if I failed again, but maybe. From all who have passed Spiegel and BTB though I will say, NEITHER was helpful for me this year . I didn't try psych genius, so maybe that was the ONE I missed because I did tons of q books not mentioned. I will say I totally skipped neuro because its such a vast topic and supposedly low yield when you look at the ABPN website

Just got my scores in Child Psych. From my experience, Board Vitals was more than enough to pass the Child Psychiatry initial certification exam. I went through the program to the point where I was averaging 95% accuracy. I had more than enough room left to pass the board exam, and there were certainly many questions from that question bank that I either wouldn't have had right or would have been scratching my head over without the question bank.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my scores in Child Psych. From my experience, Board Vitals was more than enough to pass the Child Psychiatry initial certification exam. I went through the program to the point where I was averaging 95% accuracy. I had more than enough room left to pass the board exam, and there were certainly many questions from that question bank that I either wouldn't have had right or would have been scratching my head over without the question bank.
Last week child scores came out correct?

Anyone betting there will be a delay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Beat the boards sent out an email saying we got our grades...this confused me. No exam results yet or am I missing something ?

Beat the boards sent out an email saying we got our grades...this confused me. No exam results yet or am I missing something ?
For initial? I took btb didn't get an email

For initial? I took btb didn't get an email

I just double checked..it was from Jack krasuki who does a lot of lecturing for beat the boards

"By now you should have received your exam results and we would love to hear back from you about them. We know you worked very hard.
If you’ve passed, congratulations! And I hope that you take a moment out of your busy schedule to celebrate your success and share the good news with us.
If not, we are here for you. You will have continued access to all your course materials until your next exam. And, of course, you are eligible to receive your guarantee payment."

Oh I originally forgot to reply to this, but yes for initial/adult boards

Last edited:
I assume they have it on autosend for around the time the results are due..still nothing here for me..

Reactions: 1 user
Btw I got a 95% on the BRB exam with 0 studying since Sept but I know my actual score will be much lower. I'm using it for Cmes and took it last night.

I checked ABPN no I'm sorry you failed today. Maybe tomorrow. Good luck to all

I checked ABPN no I'm sorry you failed today. Maybe tomorrow. Good luck to all

I just called abpn and they said "next day or two" for results

Last edited:
I just called abpn and they said "next day or two" for results
Didn't they say Dec 18??????????? I am going to wait until after the holidays to look, my gosh it's a computer exam. Really? Too bad I cant use my scores from the practice exams.

Results are up, passed ! Yay

I PASSED. I FINALLY PASSED. Thanks to all who pmmed and posted helpful hints. I am beyond surprised. I took it THREE TIMES. I FINALLY PASSED. I don't know what this means The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) has issued definitions of "Clinically Active" and "Clinically Inactive" and requires that all diplomates self-report their status once every 24 months in each area of certification. This information will be available to the public.

1. "Clinically Active": Any amount of direct and/or consultative patient care has been provided in the preceding 24 months. This includes the supervision of residents.
A. Engaged in direct and/or consultative care sufficient to complete Performance-in-Practice (PIP) Units.
B. Engaged in direct and/or consultative care not sufficient to complete PIP Units.

2. "Clinically Inactive": No direct and or/consultative patient care has been provided in the past 24 months.

3. "Status Unknown": No information available on the clinical activity of this diplomate.

Diplomates who are in category 1.A. are required to complete all components of the MOC Program including PIP Units. Diplomates who are in categories 1.B. or 2 are required to complete all components of the MOC Program, except for PIP Units. A change in diplomate status from 1.B. or 2 to 1.A. requires the completion of at least one PIP Unit. . I clinically practice, but what is a PIP? I don't want to mess this up. I am board certified.

Reactions: 5 users
I PASSED. I FINALLY PASSED. Thanks to all who pmmed and posted helpful hints. I am beyond surprised. I took it THREE TIMES. I FINALLY PASSED. I don't know what this means The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) has issued definitions of "Clinically Active" and "Clinically Inactive" and requires that all diplomates self-report their status once every 24 months in each area of certification. This information will be available to the public.

1. "Clinically Active": Any amount of direct and/or consultative patient care has been provided in the preceding 24 months. This includes the supervision of residents.
A. Engaged in direct and/or consultative care sufficient to complete Performance-in-Practice (PIP) Units.
B. Engaged in direct and/or consultative care not sufficient to complete PIP Units.

2. "Clinically Inactive": No direct and or/consultative patient care has been provided in the past 24 months.

3. "Status Unknown": No information available on the clinical activity of this diplomate.

Diplomates who are in category 1.A. are required to complete all components of the MOC Program including PIP Units. Diplomates who are in categories 1.B. or 2 are required to complete all components of the MOC Program, except for PIP Units. A change in diplomate status from 1.B. or 2 to 1.A. requires the completion of at least one PIP Unit. . I clinically practice, but what is a PIP? I don't want to mess this up. I am board certified.

So excited for you :)

Congrats!! I also would like some clarification on this PIP thing..

Congratulations to all who passed. After taking it 3x i feel like I know it well and would be willing to share tips advice names of resources I used.

Congratulations to all who passed. After taking it 3x i feel like I know it well and would be willing to share tips advice names of resources I used.

Congrats! Can you please share your experience and what you did differently the third time around? Would you recommend anything different for those taking it multiple times an unable to pass? Also would the board allow for special accommodations, and if so is it hard to get? Thank you so much and congrats again!

Congrats! Can you please share your experience and what you did differently the third time around? Would you recommend anything different for those taking it multiple times an unable to pass? Also would the board allow for special accommodations, and if so is it hard to get? Thank you so much and congrats again!
I have severe ADHD and GAD and I got accommodations for my GAD where I took it over 2 days. I did BTB Spiegel like 6x did tons of question books and an online q bank for vignettes from board vitals. I also went to kaufmans course in NYC but I thought it wasn't that great and it was expensive. I'm in therapy already but that helped. I studied 16 to 18 hours a day pretty much 6 days a week for 4 months. I did zero Neuro because it's so broad but low yield. DR Jack from BTB has a great video on FB that helped a lot. If I were taking it again I'd start studying in January honestly.

I have severe ADHD and GAD and I got accommodations for my GAD where I took it over 2 days. I did BTB Spiegel like 6x did tons of question books and an online q bank for vignettes from board vitals. I also went to kaufmans course in NYC but I thought it wasn't that great and it was expensive. I'm in therapy already but that helped. I studied 16 to 18 hours a day pretty much 6 days a week for 4 months. I did zero Neuro because it's so broad but low yield. DR Jack from BTB has a great video on FB that helped a lot. If I were taking it again I'd start studying in January honestly.
Thank you very much for your help! Is getting special accommodations for adhd or anxiety difficult to get from the board?

PIP: you buy a PIP module from an approved organization such as APA. I did one last year on monitoring of antipsychotics. The module directs you to do a chart review, analyze your findings, do quality improvement, and then do a repeat chart review to see if you have improved.

Thank you very much for your help! Is getting special accommodations for adhd or anxiety difficult to get from the board?

it was really difficult and it's very detailed
. I truly do have a long history of both that were documented for years and years. I was denied for ADHD I didn't expect it for GAD. It was double time and on one hand it did help because my brain doesn't have that type of attention span for 9 hours and I have tried and failed all of the ADHD meds, but on the other hand I knew all the questions I got wrong on the first day of the exam and went in with that stress. But you can't get a waiver just for failing. You need a honest true blue diagnosis.

I would start studying in January. Spiegel until you know all the questions and answers COLD. Beat the boards, I did board vitals vignettes, I used every question book I could find on Amazon and my life for 4 months was studying 16 or more hours 6 days a week. I worked one day a week. I also went to Kaufman''s neuro for psych in NYC for five days, personally I didn't find that helpful. I DIDN'T start in Jan but in hindsight I wish I would have so I wouldn't have been so burned out by the time the exam came. I lived in a hotel for the four weeks prior and that somehow helped. I ate breathed and slept board prep for four months. Do you have test anxiety? If so maybe therapy? I was already in therapy and that helped also. I focused on the material they said was high yield and ignored neuro and neurodevelopment completely, because I was pressed for time and it is lower yield. I did vitals vignettes. I can't say Why I passed. I am in total shock. I would recommend knowing the material and doing as many questions and looking at the answers and reasoning behind them and all of the alternative answers too.
Good luck to you. You didn't pass? If you are in this boat, like I said this was my third time, I had my pity party but I worked my rear end off. I am guessing you don't have to work as hard as I did I am SO surprised I passed.

congratulations everybody who passed!

Has anyone received their paper copy of their board certification? I had such anxiety about passing (understandable being it took me 3 tries) I would just feel better if I had the paper copy (GAD).

Has anyone received their paper copy of their board certification? I had such anxiety about passing (understandable being it took me 3 tries) I would just feel better if I had the paper copy (GAD).

they said something like 8-12 weeks to get the certificate

What resources do you all recommend to study for this exam? Failed this exam once before...don't want to repeat again. How's psych genius? Thanks in advance.

What resources do you all recommend to study for this exam? Failed this exam once before...don't want to repeat again. How's psych genius? Thanks in advance.

Spiegel - READ and know ALL of the answer choices and the info behind why each is right and wrong. BTB I swear by this, the addictions series I had to supplement, Focus, Board Vitals Vignettes, ALL of the questions you can possibly do that are DSM 5 based. I also used the DSM 5 for criteria most common comorbidities most common differential diagnoses, The Purple DSM 5 q book. If you can borrow someone's notes from the Kaufman course. Most people do Kaufman's neurology for psych. There are many resources posted in this thread. Good Luck.
The neuro questions I thought were the most straight forward but for the psych boards they just list neurology and a percent of questions that are supposed to be on the test. For neuro boards, they list what percent of each part of psych.

Spiegel - READ and know ALL of the answer choices and the info behind why each is right and wrong. BTB I swear by this, the addictions series I had to supplement, Focus, Board Vitals Vignettes, ALL of the questions you can possibly do that are DSM 5 based. I also used the DSM 5 for criteria most common comorbidities most common differential diagnoses, The Purple DSM 5 q book. If you can borrow someone's notes from the Kaufman course. Most people do Kaufman's neurology for psych. There are many resources posted in this thread. Good Luck.
The neuro questions I thought were the most straight forward but for the psych boards they just list neurology and a percent of questions that are supposed to be on the test. For neuro boards, they list what percent of each part of psych.
Thank you! Heard anything about Psych Genius? Any good? Also when they are talking about Kaufman...do they mean reading the whole big red text book? I"m confused by this.

Psych Genius has the most realistic questions I feel (not entirely surprising since they have prep questions for PRITE too). I tried most of the prep services, like BTB, B Vitals. So I recommend them.

Thank you! Heard anything about Psych Genius? Any good? Also when they are talking about Kaufman...do they mean reading the whole big red text book? I"m confused by this.
Pretty much AND Doing all of the questions. I went to the course which was pricey as was the stay in NYC. I personally wouldn't recommend it, but a lot of people who went thought it was great. I did zero neuro personally as I was running out of time. But I would suggest reading and doing the entire Kaufman's neurology for psych book AND questions. The neuro questions tend to be pretty straight forward IMO. You have the time if you start studying now. Good luck. Some people here said Psych Genius was good I didn't use it. But I would say go for it. The more practice questions the better. And it's a tax deduction.

Everyone studies different. Reflect upon what got you thru all the other tests that came before.

All I did was two Focus question books 2 weeks before the test.

When are the certificates mailed to us? I am moving to another job/state soon and need to notify them, just want to make sure it isn't already "in the mail" or whatever...

Pretty much AND Doing all of the questions. I went to the course which was pricey as was the stay in NYC. I personally wouldn't recommend it, but a lot of people who went thought it was great. I did zero neuro personally as I was running out of time. But I would suggest reading and doing the entire Kaufman's neurology for psych book AND questions. The neuro questions tend to be pretty straight forward IMO. You have the time if you start studying now. Good luck. Some people here said Psych Genius was good I didn't use it. But I would say go for it. The more practice questions the better. And it's a tax deduction.
How can it be tax deductible? If you have a 1099 job>?

Get yourself a GOOD CPA. I went to H&R Block initially and paid a fortune. Then I got a CPA and wow, the deductions I didn't even know about. He saved me a TON. By the way anyone get their paper certificate yet?