Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paratodoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can clarify this for me as a hopeful future DO student.

In order to be board certified by a member board of the ABMS, does one have to attend a Allopathic residency or can those who attended AOA-approved residencies also sit for these exams? It was my impression that those who go through the AOA match and enter AOA-approved residencies can only sit for Osteopathic board certification.

I've read conflicting things on the internet (it's super reliable afterall :laugh:).

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully someone can clarify this for me as a hopeful future DO student.

In order to be board certified by a member board of the ABMS, does one have to attend a Allopathic residency or can those who attended AOA-approved residencies also sit for these exams? It was my impression that those who go through the AOA match and enter AOA-approved residencies can only sit for Osteopathic board certification.

I've read conflicting things on the internet (it's super reliable afterall :laugh:).

SDN is the internet. Call ABMS and ask to be sure.

If you do an osteopathic residency you go through the osteopathic board for board certification. If you do an ACGME residency you go through the ACGME board for board certification. There are few, if any anymore, exceptions to this.