Board eligibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amadeus_lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone who is familiar with board eligibility please help. I am desperate. Due to some visa issues and restriction by ECFMG, I will only be able to have 11 month and 1 week of training of the ACGME pain fellowship. I forfeit the four weeks of vacation. So all the 11 month and 1 week will be 100% direct patient care. Can I still be eligible for the ABPMR pain medicine board ?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone who is familiar with board eligibility please help. I am desperate. Due to some visa issues and restriction by ECFMG, I will only be able to have 11 month and 1 week of training of the ACGME pain fellowship. I forfeit the four weeks of vacation. So all the 11 month and 1 week will be 100% direct patient care. Can I still be eligible for the ABPMR pain medicine board ?

Thank you so much!
Great question for your fellowship program director. Why would they take you if you were not going to be board eligible as it would only hurt the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know the answer to your question, but check if time off to interview for jobs is considered separate from vacation time. It should not count against your training hours then. My dumb self thought I had to use vacation time so my co-fellows all had 5 weeks off and I only had the 4.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks you all for the reply. The reason why this happened is that there was delay of paper work so I have to start late. And ecfmg capped the time I can be on j visa.

In a regular 12 month fellowship, 4 weeks are for vacation thus the direct patient care time is about 11 month. So 11 month and 1 week direct patient care training time is equivalent. But the board seems only look at what is written in the contract. I am wondering if there is any wiggle room

Based on their website, they want you to complete 12 months of fellowship to be eligible regardless of when you take vacation. They'd have to mark those dates accordingly for it to be valid. I'm not sure if this is something they could or would do. You will have to discuss this with them.

Not sure about ABPMR but I know ABA and ABPN both allow part time or interrupted training. Not sure if PMR allows this too... It would be an option?

Last edited:
We had something like this come up before and just had the fellow work an extra month. But it sounds like this might not be an option?

Thank you all so much for the input. I will explore the feasibility of interrupted or part time training.

Only situation I can work for one extra month will be I am employed by the same hospital after finishing the training.

Will keep you guys updated.

The issues resolved. I am eligible for board.

Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.