Board preparation materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cone774411

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best board preparation materials? I have "laughing your way to the boards" but find the mnenomics really annoying. Any other concise resources? The mayo books appear somewhat outdated. Continuum? Primary textbooks?

Also, how much did you guys study for this thing? Is it like Step studying (all day, every day) for several months or just a couple of dedicated weeks? FWIW, I've done well on all standardized testing including RITE

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo Clinic Board Review book + BoardVitals + Neurology for the boards/wards by Cheng Ching +/- questions at the end of continuum

I studied ~2 months doing mostly questions and reading the Mayo book divvied up to ~20 pages/day.

I created an Anki deck of Cheng-Ching (old edition) that I can share, though I am still going through it to make sure there are no mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I created an Anki deck of Cheng-Ching (old edition) that I can share, though I am still going through it to make sure there are no mistakes.
I would appreciate this very much and would br be willing to help review and update the deck

Let me go through the neuromuscular section because the bulk (most important sections) will be fully looked through & corrected. It's literally just copy-pasted screenshots of the questions & answers, so you won't be able to search through it. It is rough but I've found it very useful so far. You'll all have access to it in the next month or so (unless they ban me for posting it).

Reactions: 1 users
beat the boards video and q bank, AAN SAE, Chin chang
Mayo has too much details. I would recommend using USMLE Neurology boards as well. The actual board questions are about 75% less harder than the RITE.

Comprehensive Review in Clinical Neurology is a fantastic question book and the explanations are great. I also used Neuroprep which is another good online question bank. I hear good things about the AAN SAE q bank too.

Last edited:
Discount code for beat the boards!
AMB77290

Laughing your Way & Comprehensive Review in Clinical Neurology qbook is all I did. Few hours in a day periodically during last year of residency and then about a week of full day studying just prior to boards. I did fine and I tanked the RITE every year. Board questions are way easier than RITE questions.

I'll agree that Laughing your Way is not structured in a pleasing way, but what I liked about it is completeness (meaning it touched on almost everything at least once). I took each chapter of LYW and turned it into a ppt slide deck with imported pictures or other resources I liked. Then during residency or fellowship down time I would just flip through a ppt on my phone or laptop.

CRCN qbook, I didn't think the questions were fantastic but the explanations were comprehensive and great. Another example of completeness where going through book pretty much touched on every topic.

I had considered using thing like Neuroprep, Continuum, SAE, Mayo etc but honestly I just ran out of time. Board studying generally isn't like Step studying in that dedicated block time for studying is a luxury for most.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
laughing your way is good for metabolic disorders

Laughing your Way & Comprehensive Review in Clinical Neurology qbook is all I did. Few hours in a day periodically during last year of residency and then about a week of full day studying just prior to boards. I did fine and I tanked the RITE every year. Board questions are way easier than RITE questions.

I'll agree that Laughing your Way is not structured in a pleasing way, but what I liked about it is completeness (meaning it touched on almost everything at least once). I took each chapter of LYW and turned it into a ppt slide deck with imported pictures or other resources I liked. Then during residency or fellowship down time I would just flip through a ppt on my phone or laptop.

CRCN qbook, I didn't think the questions were fantastic but the explanations were comprehensive and great. Another example of completeness where going through book pretty much touched on every topic.

I had considered using thing like Neuroprep, Continuum, SAE, Mayo etc but honestly I just ran out of time. Board studying generally isn't like Step studying in that dedicated block time for studying is a luxury for most.
Is that powerpoint something you'd be willing to share? I imagine making it was the most useful part, but I think it would also be very helpful to see what kinds of information you added to LYW. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, if you'd be willing to share your resource that would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)

I would love to have that Anki deck too! Thanks so much!

Edit

Last edited:
I've updated all of the previous decks (fewer artifacts & random spaces, larger texts, additional details on buzzwords). I've also completed the epilepsy deck (though didn't edit buzzwords to have details from the cards, that's for later).

Here is the link <--- click that.

It will probably delete any schedule you already had with the cards, so you'll have to start over. Each deck is separated out in the compressed file.

Right now, it has the following chapters:
*Cognitive Behavioral
*Cranial Nerves & Neuro-ophthalmology
*Epilepsy & Sleep
*Headache
*Movement Disorders
*Neurocritical Care
*Neuroimmunology
*Neuromuscular I - Physiology, Plexopathy, Neuropathy
*Neuromuscular II - Muscle, ANS, NMJ
*Neuromuscular III - Spinal Cord, Motor Neurons
*Vascular

• Love
Edit

Last edited:
Looking at the 2020 boards I see there are more questions in sequence (vignette questions) (basically half of the 400 questions), anyone with some input on those? Best review bank for those?

I am continuing to update the previous decks (fewer artifacts & random spaces, larger texts, fixed images, additional details on buzzwords), though there likely aren't substantial differences between these & the already posted decks. This new link has added Systemic Disease & Pregnancy and Nutritional & Toxic Disorders.

It will probably delete any schedule you already had with the cards, so you'll have to start over. Each deck is separated out in the compressed file. Please note that some cards are suspended because I didn't feel like memorizing them. Others are marked for me to review & add things to later. These are only several out of thousands of cards.

Importantly, the italicized parts of the cards were added by me for better explanation or just to provide more information.

New chapters:
*Nutritional & Toxic Disorders
*Systemic Disease & Pregnancy

Previous chapters (some with updates):
*Cognitive Behavioral
*Epilepsy & Sleep
*Headache
*Movement Disorders
*Neurocritical Care
*Neuroimmunology
*Vascular

Chapters pending:
*Child Neurology (may never do this one)
*Infectious Disease
*Neuro-oncology
*Psychiatry (also probably never)

Last edited:
I am continuing to update the previous decks (fewer artifacts & random spaces, larger texts, fixed images, additional details on buzzwords), though there likely aren't substantial differences between these & the already posted decks. This new link has added Systemic Disease & Pregnancy and Nutritional & Toxic Disorders.

It will probably delete any schedule you already had with the cards, so you'll have to start over. Each deck is separated out in the compressed file. Please note that some cards are suspended because I didn't feel like memorizing them. Others are marked for me to review & add things to later. These are only several out of thousands of cards.

Importantly, the italicized parts of the cards were added by me for better explanation or just to provide more information.

New chapters:

*Cognitive Behavioral
*Epilepsy & Sleep
*Headache
*Movement Disorders
*Neurocritical Care
*Neuroimmunology
*Vascular

Chapters pending:
*Infectious Disease
*Neuro-oncology
Hi can you please re send the link. It is not working. Possibly upload the anki file to google drive? Thanks!!

I am continuing to update the previous decks (fewer artifacts & random spaces, larger texts, fixed images, additional details on buzzwords), though there likely aren't substantial differences between these & the already posted decks. This new link has Infectious Disease & screenshots of sensory & spinal dermatomes from an old neuromuscular book once recommended to me.

Here is the link <--- click that (just fixed the link).

It will probably delete any schedule you already had with the cards, so you'll have to start over. Each deck is separated out in the compressed file. Please note that some cards are suspended because I didn't feel like memorizing them. Others are marked for me to review & add things to later. These are only several out of thousands of cards. I have added some keywords at the bottom of cards in italics so they are more searchable, but it's few & I likely won't complete this.

New chapters:
*Infectious Disease
*Spinal & sensory nerve dermatomes

*Cognitive Behavioral
*Epilepsy & Sleep
*Headache
*Movement Disorders
*Neurocritical Care
*Neuroimmunology
*Vascular

Chapters pending:
*Neuro-oncology (ugh)

Last edited:
I am continuing to update the previous decks (fewer artifacts & random spaces, larger texts, fixed images, additional details on buzzwords), though there likely aren't substantial differences between these & the already posted decks. This new link has Infectious Disease & screenshots of sensory & spinal dermatomes from an old neuromuscular book once recommended to me.

Here is the link <--- click that (just fixed the link).

It will probably delete any schedule you already had with the cards, so you'll have to start over. Each deck is separated out in the compressed file. Please note that some cards are suspended because I didn't feel like memorizing them. Others are marked for me to review & add things to later. These are only several out of thousands of cards. I have added some keywords at the bottom of cards in italics so they are more searchable, but it's few & I likely won't complete this.

New chapters:
*Infectious Disease
*Spinal & sensory nerve dermatomes

*Cognitive Behavioral
*Epilepsy & Sleep
*Headache
*Movement Disorders
*Neurocritical Care
*Neuroimmunology
*Vascular

Chapters pending:
*Neuro-oncology (ugh)
Could you send that again, please?

i only did boardvitals question bank thats all i needed to ace fyi that was two years ago idk if it changed.

Im just starting to study for the sep board and i wanted to know if any one recommends beat the board if i only have 2 mts?
i have a old version of chang, which i only did half of in my PGY3. I also tried neuro questions for couple of months in my PGY3. I want a more comprehensive test material, i was wondering if you guys have any knowledge about the questions of the beat the board and if that will be enough ?
any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

Would you happen to still have a link for the Anki deck? The old one has expired.

Thank you!

NeurAnki is making a new one now with faculty across various institutions in the US. They anticipate it coming out in April/May

Is there a link for the Anki deck?
What is the time length for studying for the boards?