Board preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExperiencedDPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some very basic and simple recommendations when preparing for boards. It doesn’t involve how to prepare academically, but how to actually gather information.

I’ve seen it in our practice, I’ve heard it from former residents and I have read it on this forum. It’s the scramble to gather cases for boards. Realistically, many DPMs leave a job and risk having the task of gathering information become a difficult endeavor.

1) when signing a contract, ask for the ability to gather and keep information for board cases only and not for future solicitation of patients.

2). Ask for a special consent/release form to be signed by surgical patients, allowing you access to information for board cases.

3). Start gathering information starting with your first case. I had our associates gather info from day one. Those who didn’t had to scramble and often missed deadlines.

4). Collect copies of every op report and keep them in a loose leaf. Do the same with all pathology reports.

5) make copies of pre and post op visits and keep those notes with the op and path reports.

6) obtain copies of pre and post op films when the patient is discharged.

7). Do this for every surgical case while the patient is under your care. Don’t try gathering info after the fact for 50 cases. Your head will explode

8). LET YOUR EMPLOYER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING SO YOUR ACTIONS ARE NOT PERCCEIVED AS COVERT

9). You will be incredibly happy when it comes time to submit your cases when you realize you’ve got it already and don’t have to start chasing the information.

This is basic, simple and common sense, but most docs I know wait until the last minute and go crazy trying to obtain the information.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
This is great information, thanks for taking the time to share. My question is, how do you physically or digitally store this in a hipaa compliant way?

I’m not a healthcare attorney or HIPAA expert, so can’t answer that question. In my day we went to a copy machine and make good old paper copies and put them in a binder. X-ray copies were made and that’s it. Electronic records have changed the game and have made it more complicated regarding HIPAA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 10. Don't join a private practice.

(Said tongue-in-cheek)

Reactions: 1 user
Very sound advice. The ABFAS guidelines generally recommend the same thing which is to start early. I am guilty for not starting early. I became a statistic last year and left for a different job, and let me tell ya... the process of obtaining records is a *****. I have decided to start over and now have been collecting cases since day 1. At current rate, I'll be ready to take the boards next year... Thankfully I still have 4 more years left which is plenty of time.

I have decided to start over and now have been collecting cases since day 1.

How do you “start over?”

Did you never log cases on the site the first time around or enter any hospital/surgery center info? Or do you ask ABFAS to erase it all? With the hospital audit they do once you’ve submitted for certification, I don’t get how people are just starting over on their case collections.

How do you “start over?”

Did you never log cases on the site the first time around or enter any hospital/surgery center info? Or do you ask ABFAS to erase it all? With the hospital audit they do once you’ve submitted for certification, I don’t get how people are just starting over on their case collections.
Ive logged cases, just never gathered the required docs....after awhile I just totally didn't log at all...just kept the surgical booking sheets and kept telling myself I'll log later.

U can totally delete ur cases....and hospital/surgery center info....I did just that. I think it becomes locked at a certain time of the year for the next cycle of testing but it becomes unlocked again after testing cycle is over. I never registered for the part 2 exam so why would I worry about an audit?

Ive logged cases, just never gathered the required docs....after awhile I just totally didn't log at all...just kept the surgical booking sheets and kept telling myself I'll log later.

U can totally delete ur cases....and hospital/surgery center info....I did just that. I think it becomes locked at a certain time of the year for the next cycle of testing but it becomes unlocked again after testing cycle is over. I never registered for the part 2 exam so why would I worry about an audit?

I get you can delete your cases and locations, I guess if you move to a different state it doesn’t matter. But then you have like a 1, 2, or 3 year gap or more with no cases. I’m sure the board will ask why the gap? Do you just lie and say you didn’t practice? How does that work?

I get you can delete your cases and locations, I guess if you move to a different state it doesn’t matter. But then you have like a 1, 2, or 3 year gap or more with no cases. I’m sure the board will ask why the gap? Do you just lie and say you didn’t practice? How does that work?

Whatever you do in this profession, never lie. Never.

Agreed. It just seems to me that deleting all your cases and logs is just that, lying. I could be wrong though.

I don’t believe it’s mandatory to log every case you’ve performed. (I may be wrong). Things have changed significantly since I became certified. My impression is that you log the cases you want reviewed. So deleting cases isn’t lying, it’s more in tune with editing/picking and choosing.

If I’m wrong, I stand corrected.

The ABFAS document says you're suppose to log all cases. And they will do an audit of at least one of the surgical facilities that you've listed to confirm you have privileges and that you've logged all the cases with no discrepancy. Which I have been doing except the first 2 years while I was in a different state/coast. Guess time will tell if I run into issues.

Last edited: