Board results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

targethemeonc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Whats the timeframe for results after heme-onc boards? ABIM says upto 3 months, but what's the usual average per previous years' experience?

Members don't see this ad.

It has usually been about 4-5 weeks. I was really hoping ABIM would be nice and release the scores this week but they didn't. Hopefully next week. 🤞

last year it was early December. Onc first, then Heme about a week later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot see the score report. It is stating for me to pay a fee

I was able to download from the bottom page where you see IM board certification. It could be a system glitch and hopefully corrected soon.

Passed med onc. still waiting on heme. Ended up paying the MOC fee to be able to see the score report >.>

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Happy for you. I still cant believe i didnt pass

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Happy for you. I still cant believe i didnt pass
Don't worry too much about it. You'll pass next time. You came a long way facing several boards to this board exam.
If you haven't prepared enough or busy with the new job then i suggest take sometime next year around exam time and look into the board prep courses. I watched Brigham and MD anderson prep videos during fellowship. Both have similar breadth and depth. And that Q bank everyone talking about. ASCO SEP is alright too.

Thank you for the advice i did md anderson and asco sep.

Thank you for the advice i did md anderson and asco sep.
All I did was heme onc q bank, just kept doing questions, got through about 80% of the questions. Did not use any other resource , prior year of course. Did just about average in the end. I think just hammering questions is pretty good for passing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did GW review online, hemeonc qbank and asco sep. Also went through how I treat ASH articles as well
Might have went a little overboard but scored quite high so I guess it worked out ok.

Reactions: 1 user
The hemeonc qbank by Ravin Garg is awesome. I used this even for ITE. I think if you do this couple of times- you are all set. ASCO SEP online - now has about 800 questions, can add that to the study material. Did some MD Anderson videos but not much during final days of prep. Got decent score.

Passed heme, so glad that's over.

I highly recommend the hematology oncology question bank by Ravin Garg. That + the NCCN guidelines were essentially all I used for the onc boards.

For the heme boards I used the question bank and also the ASH hematology board review lecture series. The review lecture series is absolutely amazing and it was mostly high yield info with most of the lecturers being easy to listen to. My biggest regret was trying to memorize any porphyria outside of PCT and AIP

Passed both heme and onc

Used heme onc question q bank by Ravin Garg, ASCO sep, ASH sep questions, MD anderson (during 3rd year and 1 more time before boards) and ASH heme review series

Onc was more straightforward
Heme was quite difficult as expected. Happy it's over

Passed both. I didn't do any of the Q banks, I wanted to spend as little time and money as possible.
For med onc: I read pocket oncology x2 (the newest version that recently came out)
For hem: I read William's hematology manual x2 (an abbreviated version of the big one, it was a free book).
Passed with mediocre scores, I guess that was all I needed. Relieved that I'm done!

I also passed both the heme and onc boards, thank God! I second what Shining dragon said about Heme/onc question bank by Ravin Garg and using NCCN to supplement that. I did not do any videos (I don't do well with videos) or use ASCO sep or ASH sap. I did the question bank for ITEs all 3 years during fellowship and did multiple sections several times prior to the boards.
Just find whatever study material works best for you and review as much of the material possible before boards! Good luck to those who will take it in the future!

Passed both, sub-average but only by a little (simlar to ITEs)

Was pretty worried- similar to poster above I haven't been the best test taker throughout my life, and I went to a highly academic fellowship where I saw pretty esoteric stuff in a subspecialty so not much general exposure.
I used GW videos (interface sucked, but videos were ok), the ASH heme lectures (fantastic), and did >60% of the HOQ, ASH SEP and ASCO SAP questions.

I'm going to go against the grain a little here and say the HOQ by Ravin Garg were ok (Definitely worth the money), but by the time you do a bunch of them, you can kind of *tell* what is the right answer based on how the questions are framed/formatted, and not due to clinical knowledge- and the learning is somewhat esoteric sometimes. The explanations are good though. I didn't find them super representative of the boards questions, but the act of using them was helpful I guess.

I failed the onc board. I feel ASCO SEP did more harm than good. The questions are very outdated on the test. They are like 2 years behind. Those who took the test will remember thinking about an answer and looking at the options and it's just not there. Without revealing anything because I know it's ilegal, I have to say you have to take the test like you were doing oncology in 2018

• Sad
Passed both heme and onc

Used heme onc question q bank by Ravin Garg, ASCO sep, ASH sep questions, MD anderson (during 3rd year and 1 more time before boards) and ASH heme review series

Onc was more straightforward
Heme was quite difficult as expected. Happy it's over
Hi
Do you have access to Md Anderson 2022 board review ?