Board Scores...Where can I find them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggiechris06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can I find the stats for each school's board scores?

Members don't see this ad.

ah, if only it were that easy...

You can't find them. Schools guard them as if they were the Holy Grail.

Except Florida. They shout their scores from the rooftop. I wouldn't be surprised if they started putting up billboards advertising them. Or maybe rename one of their buildings after their mean board score.

Members don't see this ad :)
candbgirl said:
Are their scores that good? :)

They are pretty good. Their score curve basically looks like someone took the national curve and shifted it one SD to the right. They had something like 20 kids last year over a 245.

every school's average board score is ABOVE average :confused:

maybe it's the foreign docs/DOs which are causing this, but I think it's all lies :smuggrin:

Will Ferrell said:
every school's average board score is ABOVE average :confused:

maybe it's the foreign docs/DOs which are causing this, but I think it's all lies :smuggrin:
Foreign docs' scores aren't taken into account. I do agree it's strange, however, because every school I've been to claims to have board scores above the national average.

I interviewed at 3 schools. Two schools did not mention it, making me think that they are below average. No, I will not tell you the schools.

SlippingSloth said:
Some schools are kind enough to show you the scores their students receive. Example USC Keck

http://uscnews.usc.edu/hscweekly/detail.php?recordnum=9546

Most however are not so forthcoming.
I think it's cool that USC shows them off (even if they are from 2003) but what am I supposed to glean from that graph? The scores are all over the place. I have a feeling that it has more to due with the particulars of the class than anything else....

that is exactly the same interpretation I took from that

desiredusername said:
I think it's cool that USC shows them off (even if they are from 2003) but what am I supposed to glean from that graph? The scores are all over the place. I have a feeling that it has more to due with the particulars of the class than anything else....

Yeah, but at least you have something to interpret.

I wish all schools were so kind.

Uh, guys. Read the y axis of the graph. They are not "all over the place". There's really only a 4 point difference between the highest and lowest years. Considering the SD of the USMLE Step 1 is something like 20 points, I don't think that's much.

The fact that USC Keck shows nothing after 2003 tells me that the following years have not been quite as good.

socuteMD said:
Uh, guys. Read the y axis of the graph. They are not "all over the place". There's really only a 4 point difference between the highest and lowest years. Considering the SD of the USMLE Step 1 is something like 20 points, I don't think that's much.

The fact that USC Keck shows nothing after 2003 tells me that the following years have not been quite as good.
They aren't "all over the place" but there is no trend (that's what I meant - you don't really expect precise language on the pre-allo board, do you?). The article attributes the rise to the new curriculum (as of 2003) but in 1999 the scores were the same. I'm not sure what the value of that is other than, "pretty average board scores from 1999-2003 at USC."
The article was written in 2003, so you can't really extrapolate and make claims about the 2004 and 2005 scores.

Actually, I'm a third-year at Keck, and just so you know, the average step 1 scores for each class have gone up a few points every year since the new curriculum was implemented - with 2005 being the highest ever (hooray for class of 2007!). However, I agree, I think it has more to do with the characteristics of the class, as each class has had higher GPAs and MCATs than the previous year. Good luck to everyone applying!

Board scores are extremely individualized and don't refect the school at all in my opinion. I have never been a student to study hard or go to class and did mediocre on school exams, but did really well on my boards. Likewise, there are people who are the complete opposite from me. Furthermore, school generally teach to give you knowledge in general medicine, where the boards focus generally on specific topics. What I mean is that schools don't teach specific to the boards. The only place I've seen that in some Carribbean schools who have specific board courses. This also applies to residencies and board pass rates in my opinion.

ND2005 said:
You can't find them. Schools guard them as if they were the Holy Grail.

Except Florida. They shout their scores from the rooftop. I wouldn't be surprised if they started putting up billboards advertising them. Or maybe rename one of their buildings after their mean board score.

Haha, SO true. UF will show you endless graphs of their scores and ponder their amazingness with incredulity, saying that they're not exactly sure why the scores are so high, because they DON'T teach to the boards.

Kind of goofy... still, I would LOVE an acceptance!