Board Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimchee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am interested in applying for pathology next year. I am not sure what would be considered a competitive applicant. Do I need +220 step 1 /2 for top places, above average programs? what is considered a bared minimum? what else do PD look for? I am a US med student.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I am interested in applying for pathology next year. I am not sure what would be considered a competitive applicant. Do I need +220 step 1 /2 for top places, above average programs? what is considered a bared minimum? what else do PD look for? I am a US med student.
thanks

Do a search this has been discussed before. To get into pathology, you have to at least pass to stay in the game.

Based on my experiences reading SDN and talking to various people, and my opinion here is definitely not official, but I would say aim for at least 230/240 if you want to match at a top program, probably a bit lower if you're a MudPhud.

Members don't see this ad :)
Board scores are a relatively minor factor - other things are far more important. If you are a US grad it seems to be important basically to pass, provided that there are no other red flags in your history (like all of your reference letters say, "This candidate is a great fit for dermatology" like one of our candidates had) and you actually can express an interest in pathology. If you are a foreign grad they matter a bit more, although still, other factors are more important once you have passed.

Of course, a lot of it depends on what programs you are looking at. The more competitive the program, the more it matters, although still not crucial if other parts of your application are stellar.

But yes, this has been discussed before, the search function will help.

Yaah would definitely be right about that. There is more to the application than the board score for sure. I was in the high 250s on steps I/II and only got my #4 choice. A friend of mine was in the low 260s on steps I/II and he only got his #3 or #4 choice. Maybe I came across as a psycho in my interviews or something.

Why is my desk staring at me? Quit judging me!

My recommendation is to just do your best on the boards, recognizing that they are only a part of a much broader picture of you as an applicant, and then get on with your life.

I have a fried who is a us grad and earned low 200 (ie 204 step 1 and 209 step 2) and matched to one of top / above average program. Is this possible? I mean many of you mentioned of board scores are not as crucial factor, but what other factors come in to play?
thanks again

I have a fried who is a us grad and earned low 200 (ie 204 step 1 and 209 step 2) and matched to one of top / above average program. Is this possible? I mean many of you mentioned of board scores are not as crucial factor, but what other factors come in to play?
thanks again

you can check out this pdf report from the NRMP for the answer to your question. its a survey of program directors about the criteria they use in offering interviews and subsequent ranking . . . http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty.pdf

Board scores only get you in the door. Average step 1 scores, average grades, and being an AMG got me interviews everywhere I applied except USF and UChicago (mostly b/c I don't have any research I think). Once you have the interview, your boards don't matter much. Programs aren't going to rank you based on your board scores, they rank you based on how you did at the interview. Case in point: two people from my school wanted to go to the same excellent top tier program. But the person with the lower board scores matched there. It's all about giving good interview. :cool: