Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Board Simulator Series

Discussion in 'Step I' started by om207, Dec 18, 2005.

1. om207

om207 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying Board Simulator Series. I hear its a set of five books, but I'm browsing different websites and it seems like each book is sold separately. There's a USMLE Review CD that's also available from BSS, its selling for $100 (ISBN: 0781792657). The CD claims to have all the questions formated into USMLE style. Does anyone have any advice with this...I thought I knew what I was looking for, but I'm a little confused now.

thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smgilles

smgilles Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Look on Ebay for better deals. I and a friend used them for the USMLE and we thought they were great. I scored 232/94 using them and my friend scored 268/99. These books will force you to understand and not just memorize facts.

4. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can get the BSS CD from Ebay for like $10. It's an older question bank that was discontinued in 1999 (I think). From my research, the questions are not representative of the current style of the USMLE, however, the explanations serve as a great learning tool. Dr.Goljan, I believe, was one of the authors for the path questions on BSS. The basic science questions on BSS are not as good but the systems stuff is much better. Use it early on in your studies to teach you the main concepts and then move onto more recent question sources like Qbook, Qbank, A&L, etc.

Someone said "it's like working out with heavy weights, everything after that seems like light reps." G'luck.