Boards - Clinical Written

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best resource(s) in preparation for the clinical written exam?
Is the Osler course useful?

Members don't see this ad.

My seniors tell me recalls are quite useful. The clinical written board pass rates are extremely high, on the order of 98% based on the last ARRO meeting at ASTRO. All graduates I spoke to said that they over-studied for it. Oral boards are a beast however . . .

What are the best resource(s) in preparation for the clinical written exam?
Is the Osler course useful?

Recalls, recalls, and recalls.

If you want to add a book, I would at most do some handbook (perhaps, new edition of Roach/Hansen due out in a few weeks?). You don't need to get 100%, so concentrate on high yield stuff --- recalls will tell you what those are.

The material it covers is so vast that it's unlikely you will be able to prepare adequatey if you go back to your real textbooks.

ps: The test is relatively easy. We are all overachievers and I, too, studied a lot for it, but I don't think it was really necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recalls, recalls, and recalls.

I can't believe I have made it this far in training and it still about getting last years' exams. I am sure no one is too optomistic about sharing the recalls their institution has assembled, but if they are I am interested.

Last edited:
Anyone have the board exam material such as Oslers mp3/notes, physics notes, old exam/ans, .... I am willing to buy them from you. My email is [email protected]

I used the Osler notes from the prior year and that seemed to work pretty well. I did recalls as well, but the Osler notes were my primary resource.

Studying for oral boards now: Recalls are VERY key.

FYI to everyone. The ABR is cracking down hard on recalls due (in part) to the recent issues on the Diagnostic Radiology side. Recalls have always been technically illegal but they have been condoned by many attendings, residents, and program directors.

This is no longer the case as the ABR has made great efforts to inform everyone that recalls are illegal and may be grounds for revocation of board certification. Thus, I would protect yourself by not publicly requesting such information.

How useful is it to go over Inservice Exams?

How useful is it to go over Inservice Exams?

They are somewhat useful. However, the clinical written exams tend to ask more "bread and butter" questions and less "zebras." Also, the written exam has become increasingly imaged-based (obviously this is not true of the in-service). They may either show you dedicated imaging (usually MRI) that is pathognomonic and ask you what it is. Also, there were several images from fiberoptic exams asking you about likely deficits or diagnosis.

I see. Thanks for the valuable 411. I can relax and skiparoo the fallopian tube staging.