Boards Part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allsop21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yup, another one of these!

Boards Part 1 APMLE...materials, advice, time etc???
APMLE Part 1 - 2012

Judging by those, most people say:

BRS Physio
Micro Made Simple
Sketchy Pharm and Micro
Lower Limb Manual (DMU's)
USMLE Step 1 Pathology

Anything else I missed or recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

I liked goljan's book for path. BRS for pharm, phys, micro made simple, first aid (not my favorite though), DMU LEA notes were good

Reactions: 1 user
Is Pathoma WITH USMLE Step 1 Path too much?

What about Micro Made Simple WITH Sketchy Micro?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm personally using Sketchy Micro, BRS Physio, Sketchy Pharm, Pathoma, First Aid for Biochem, class notes for anatomy (clinical and LEA). Keeping it simple and not drowning myself in resources.

I may also use DIT videos as a supplement. I've heard good things but I have never used it so I plan on sampling them after finals.

I liked goljan's book for path. BRS for pharm, phys, micro made simple, first aid (not my favorite though), DMU LEA notes were good

I have BRS pharm but it seems like so much. Could I get away with using First Aid and Lange pharm flashcards?

And along with allsop21, is pathoma with first aid overkill?

That would be up to how you feel about pharm. Part 1 was several years ago for me. I will say it is very easy to go overboard on materials. Pick a few things and don't look back. You can go crazy trying to learn it all. Don't forget about pertinent class notes.

Pathoma is total overkill for path. There's barely any path on the test. First Aid was more than adequate for path and I distinctly remember my exam having a handful of path questions where I thought - I would never have gotten this question right even if I'd studied a ton.

It has been a few years since I took part 1 but I only remember 2-3 being drag and drop "put these events in order" questions on mine. The vast majority were multiple choice single answer. Anyone who has taken it more recently please chime in.

All MC on mine. One picture.

Less than 2 weeks out and I just took the APMLE 1 practice exam on prometric and scored an 80. Should I be worried?? There were only 60 questions

Less than 2 weeks out and I just took the APMLE 1 practice exam on prometric and scored an 80. Should I be worried?? There were only 60 questions
You're good.

Stick to your study schedule. Stay as relaxed as possible. Get good sleep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp. Not sure what to do tomorrow. Thinking I may do some rapid review in the morning then just try to relax in the afternoon.

Between prometric/apmle exams online and board vitals I've averaged an 80 on all exams over the past 4-5 days. Don't think I can cram in much more into my brain at this point.

Good luck everyone!

Welp. Not sure what to do tomorrow. Thinking I may do some rapid review in the morning then just try to relax in the afternoon.

Between prometric/apmle exams online and board vitals I've averaged an 80 on all exams over the past 4-5 days. Don't think I can cram in much more into my brain at this point.

Good luck everyone!
Good thinking. Tomorrow should be a "rest" day.

Glad that's over. Now for the 3 week wait

Last edited:
Would First Aid + some resources for lower extremity anatomy be sufficient?

Last edited:
Sure you could use first aid plus LEA supplement (class notes).
IMO the essentials for boards were BRS physio, sketchy micro, a good pharm review and lower class notes. I had tutored anatomy over the summer after first year and all 2nd year so I just did questions. I read the first aid biochem chapter once.
But everyone is different. Choose your materials and stick with them.