Boards: really 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AR1776

Flying through
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, everytime I think I know something for sure, I read a thread that changes my mind or tells me something I didn't know. So, I think it's time I asked this for all of us 3rd years out there: How long did you study for step 2, what did you study from, and when did you take it? (I'm planning on taking it in July in order to get my scores before ERAS app time.) Thanks in advance for all the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

you should probably post this in the general section..but here is my experience: step 1--20 days, used qbank and first aid only--212
step 2--7 days, used qbank, first aid only--238
keep in mind that i hate to drag things out and studied about 8-10 hours per day for step 1 and took 2-3 days OFF during that time. also, i had my schedule of what to study each day done before i started (a must). for step 2 i took 1 day off and studied about 6-8 hours per day and took it right at the end of 3rd year to boost my chances in EM since my step 1 score was not competitive.

most importantly...do not set your time to study based on what people tell you--only you know where your strengths and weaknesses are and how you study best--some people would go nuts studying for 8 hours a day while i would go nuts studying for 2 weeks for a test like step 2. best of luck!!!

I studied 3 1/2 weeks for step 1 (first aid, qbank, various subject books), 8-10 hours/day with break time scheduled in (echo above regarding having a schedule).
I studied about a week for step 2 (crush, qbook), 4-6 hours/day; i took step 2 while interviewing, so i did do some (minimal) studying while traveling. I scored 5 points lower on step 2.

I think step 2 was easier since it was very patient based--essentially what i had been doing for the prior 18 months. it seemed like there were fewer questions to which you had to KNOW the right answer as opposed to questions that you could reasonably figure out. Like ms dr said, though, it totally depends on what your strengths are and how you study (and also, i suspect, the quality of your clinical curriculum).

Members don't see this ad :)
for step 3, did the practice cd you get in the mail which took about 2 hours. got a 235. took it as an EM PGY-3. wouldn't recommend this if you specialize or are an intern.

The actual saying is 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 pencils. Of course the whole computer based testing thing kind of screws up the pencil part...As above I did the practice test that you get when you sign up for step 3 as my only studying and got a 244. Go figure.

Koil Gugliemi said:
The actual saying is 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 pencils. Of course the whole computer based testing thing kind of screws up the pencil part...As above I did the practice test that you get when you sign up for step 3 as my only studying and got a 244. Go figure.

I thought is was 2 weeks, 2 days, #2 pencil. Anyway, thats what I did except I forgot my #2 pencil and had to borrow one. I can't remember my exact scores but my life turned out just fine.

ERMudPhud said:
I thought is was 2 weeks, 2 days, #2 pencil. Anyway, thats what I did except I forgot my #2 pencil and had to borrow one. I can't remember my exact scores but my life turned out just fine.

I agree. Where did you guys go that gave you a whole 2 mos to study for step 1? I think we had a little less than 5 weeks between our last MS-2 test and our 1st day of 3rd year.

several carib programs integrate a kaplan course into the curriculum as a final MS2 semester. not sure how long that is though.

I studied about 4 weeks for Step 1- fairly intensive days, most days of the week using qbank and FirstAid.

For Step 2, I studied about 3 weeks, somewhat intensive days, most days of the week using Crush, FirstAid, and USMLEWORLD. I scored the same on both steps!

I think the advice to know how you study and learn is the best guide to follow. I couldn't have comfortably taken it cold without preparing for it, but that's my style.

krust3 said:
several carib programs integrate a kaplan course into the curriculum as a final MS2 semester. not sure how long that is though.

My osteopathic school included Kaplan in the 2nd semester 2nd year. The books were pretty helpful. I think I would have done the same without the lectures since they're really time consuming vs how much studying I would have gotten done in that time period on my own. I just wanted to make sure that if I studied a couple of hours a week right now that I would be a better student and probably not have to do ANY intense all day studying by July when I want to take step 2. At least that's my plan for now.
Anyone know if score will be back by the end of Aug if you take COMLEX in July?