Dryacku

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am bored and I dont usually post threads like this. But hopefully someone will bite.

Any pics of boats people own that are affordable for practicing anesthesiologists. I am sure by the time I get to it it will be a canoe.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I am bored and I dont usually post threads like this. But hopefully someone will bite.

Any pics of boats people own that are affordable for practicing anesthesiologists. I am sure by the time I get to it it will be a canoe.
my apt. in Detroit has a private marina... i wonder if I can park a row boat in there.....I doubt I can afford a nice boat on a resident salary.

usnavdoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
My exit strategy is to become a pirate if medicine fails me. The Jack sparrow kind not the dirty somali kind lol.

Ive been wanting a boat for some time, so in the next few years I plan to learn to sail while on vacations and then get a nice sail boat.

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
[YOUTUBE]k8F3UE9qFsg[/YOUTUBE]

One of these days...

usnavdoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Sure as soon as I take up bank robbery as a hobby or maybe win the lotto.

Lonestar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Status
forget boats.

Find a way to earn a new living. Try a small business with small cash up front as a downpayment. I am starting a car wash.

Then once the "public" decides not to pay their doctors, well I will just flip them a bird and quit.

periopdoc

Cardiac Anesthesiologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Status
Attending Physician
I am proud to sail on the best boats in the world... Other peoples boats. I bring along great wine, cigars, and food so that we all win. The boat owners like to have me along, and I save a ton of money over owning a boat and I get to sail on lots of different boats.

-pod

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician

Boats are like houses. You can have anything that you want, everything is a bit of a trade off. Some Anesthesiologists have a $1,000,000 house, some have $200,000. However, a $1M house doesn't really cost all that much more than a $250K house to maintain. A $500K boat costs MANY TIMES more than a $50K boat to store and maintain. Keep that in mind when you go shopping. Another thing to consider is that a 30 cent screw at the hardware store costs $29.99 if it is a marine screw.
This is a boat

We've got a saying regarding boats:
If you ask yourself: "Can I afford a boat?" - you can't afford it.

Usually 10% of the purchase price is needed for maintenance every year.

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
we've got 2. a 34' and a 27'.
don't have a pic of the bigger one on my comp, but here's the one we use to go tubing and swimming.

it's not a huge monster or anything, but it does the job, tons of fun in the summer out here on lake michigan. previous poster is a bit off, not usually 10% of cost per year to maintain, closer to 5%, but that's just from my knowledge of chicagoland and northwest indiana, not sure about east/west coast costs.

i like threads like this, with so much gloom it's nice once in a while to look at the pros of having a good career.

pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4482806287/

Attachments

zenman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Gesundheit!
Status
Be sure to name your boat "Consultation" so your secretary won't be lying when she tells patients where you are...

coldweatherblue

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
Status
Medical Student
give me a used wakeboarding boat and some east tennessee summertime glass and i'm straaaight.

Nov 13, 2009
Status

http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/images/hobie16/gallery_01_lr.jpg

-I rescued this one from certain boat death. I also picked up another one for free and took all the usable parts for spares. It took a bit of work to get her into shape, especially the hulls, but now she is the pride of the bay. She has the original rainbow sails and a nice trapeze set-up (that's the wire set-up with the harness that the folks in the photo are dangling from)

http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments/boats-sale/76061d1243454884-boston-whaler-13-sport-img_1807.jpg

-This boat is in great shape. It has the original wood, they make the seats and steering column out of plastic nowadays. I take real good care of her, wash her in fresh water after each use. The hull is from 1979 but the Whalers last forever. My neighbor has a hull from 1969.

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/images/stories/switchblade.jpg

-This is definitely where you want to take things, it is the best thing that has ever happened to me...
Seriously though with boats, more so than other things, you get screwed when you don't know anything. Anything you learn goes a long way. If you know just enough to handle the little stuff it will save you big $$ and time. And if you know a little about the big stuff it will keep you from getting ripped off. Starting small is definitely the way to go because once they get big you just can't do a lot of the stuff on your own unless you have the tools and shop space.

Sorry they are all links, the photos of my own stuff aren't properly sized and I'm too lazy to reformat.