Bodybuilding and Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoBod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Must have been asked a million times.

Any residents, fellows or attendings out there who maintain this life style. I would love to hear advices, tips and diet management.

Members don't see this ad.

Not anyone I know. I imagine would be hard, because I know it requires a strict workout/diet schedule. it's hard to stick to that when you work 80h/week or more, and are actually tempted by day-old donuts or ER turkey sandwiches, the only food you've seen for 15 hours... Sigh. I don't miss those days.

Reactions: 2 users
Not anyone I know. I imagine would be hard, because I know it requires a strict workout/diet schedule. it's hard to stick to that when you work 80h/week or more, and are actually tempted by day-old donuts or ER turkey sandwiches, the only food you've seen for 15 hours... Sigh. I don't miss those days.

Mmm... ER turkey sandwiches. Only to be outdone by PACU graham crackers with peanut butter

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can we compile our own list of Dos and Donts or advices?
Any links? Any articles or references?
I am stuck and cant progress! Dont know what am I doing wrong

Can we compile our own list of Dos and Donts or advices?
Any links? Any articles or references?
I am stuck and cant progress! Dont know what am I doing wrong

Is this in regard to bodybuilding?

Yes.
Sorry the thread name is incorrect. I meant weightlifting and residency.
Not bodybuilding.

There are workout apps you can download on your phone for free (e.g. Sworkit). I like to get a 30-minute workout in right when I get back from work before dinner in the comfort of my living room. All you need is a yoga mat. Otherwise, make sure you bring workout clothes to work with you, because once you get home, it's never easy to get back out again and you fall into that food and sleep routine.

Reactions: 1 user
I know a ortho guy that does bodybuilding competitions. I don't see how this is possible in residency. Ortho is an extremely busy residency. Barely have time to sleep.

Def not a competitve bodybuilder, but I lift pretty seriously and make all my own meals and keep a pretty strict diet. It's a lifestyle and I enjoy it. It's doable but was hard as a junior resident. Much easier as a senior resident but you'll have to be very dedicated. Keep in mind that I don't have kids or any other big responsibilities. They are right when they say you'll have time for only one hobby during residency, so you'll have to make some sacrifices if you want to compete.

Yes.
Sorry the thread name is incorrect. I meant weightlifting and residency.
Not bodybuilding.

For Bodybuilding I can't help you - not my cup of tea. If you are asking can you work out - then sure. I have been able to work out 5 days a week 30 min a day throughout intern year.

I have a family and when I get home I want to spend a few minutes with them (and I am usually tired) so I get up before work and do my workout. That usually means around 3-4 (or earlier) but it is the only way I can be sure to work out. Also I have my equipment in the basement so I can do it there. No travel time. Your recovery is going to suffer some - so you will have to make sure you take that into consideration, but working out can definitely be done.

Good luck.

You all sound experienced with serious lifters who are dedicated and committed. It would be awesome to connect with you all beyond forums.
Would be glad if we can form a whatsapp group for all orthopods who lift.
I think that is the best motivation anyone can get.
Let me know if anyone is interested.