Boiling point and vapor pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I get confused with this. I thought that, if a compound has a higher vapor pressure, that means that its heat of vaporization is lower because it will more readily vaporize because a higher vapor pressure means that it has a higher partial pressure in the gas phase. Wouldn't this translate to a lower boiling point because it boils and evaporates sooner? In my BR book, it says that "...so lowering atmospheric pressure lowers the vapor pressure required to boil, which results in a lower temperature needed to boil." Does this suggest that a higher vapor pressure means a higher boiling point?
I see that my last sentence is wrong, but I am just confused by this sentence in BR

A higher vapor pressure means that there is more of the compound in the gas phase at lower temperatures because it is easier for the molecules to get into the gas phase, meaning that it has a lower heat of vaporization since less heat energy is required to vaporize. This translates to a lower boiling point for the same reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Reread the quote again. You have the terms mixed up badly. I suggest going back to the basic and learn what those terms really mean.

No. Reread the quote again. You have the terms mixed up badly. I suggest going back to the basic and learn what those terms really mean.

I misunderstood what it said. Since atmospheric pressure is lowered, the vapor pressure can be equal to the lowered atmospheric pressure more easily, so it boils sooner, since the boiling point is defined as the point when equilibrium is reached for the exchange between the liquid and gas phase.