Boiling point of glycerol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

foxi

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I assume Glycerol's BP is so high due to its ability to form intermolecular h-bonds..

BUT, since the hydroxyl groups are all in such close proximity with one another, wouldn't they simply H-bond intramoleculary, limiting their ability to H-bond with other glycerol molecules?

Based on its high BP I can tell my prediction is off - but can anybody explain why I am incorrect?
 
Consider the induced strain on a molecule if it is forced into a configuration where intramolecular H-bonding is possible. It is much more thermodynamically feasible for intermolecular H-bonding to occur.