Bond energy vs Bond dissociation energy...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they the same? If not, explain the difference and/or nuances between them.

Members don't see this ad.

Are they the same? If not, explain the difference and/or nuances between them.

I think the term "bond energy" can mean different things depending on how you are using it. For instance, ATP is a high energy bond (you might say "has a high bond energy") even though it is actually a very weak bond since it is so unstable.

BDE = the energy required to break a bond. I think if "bond energy" were to show up, it would be defined.

I think the term "bond energy" can mean different things depending on how you are using it. For instance, ATP is a high energy bond (you might say "has a high bond energy") even though it is actually a very weak bond since it is so unstable.

BDE = the energy required to break a bond. I think if "bond energy" were to show up, it would be defined.
The thing to recognize here is that things with high energy in nature are less stable, so a bond that "contains" a lot of energy (like the phosphate-phosphate bond in ATP) is unstable. Bonds that result in a low energy state are more stable and "contain" less energy.

I agree with MedPR by the way, just thought I'd throw that out.

The thing to recognize here is that things with high energy in nature are less stable, so a bond that "contains" a lot of energy (like the phosphate-phosphate bond in ATP) is unstable. Bonds that result in a low energy state are more stable and "contain" less energy.

I agree with MedPR by the way, just thought I'd throw that out.

Yea, ATP is a high energy bond or, said in another way, a bond that you can derive a lot of energy from. If you derive a lot of energy from a bond, that means the reaction is exothermic. Exothermic reactions result from breaking weak bonds and forming strong bonds, so the ATP bonds must be weak. So they must have a low BDE.

I think as long as you have a good idea of what BDE means and the relationship between weak/strong bonds, high/low energy, and stable/unstable, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user