Bond funds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proman

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm putting some money in a Fidelity 401k (short term, plan on rolling over to my Roth this summer). There's no cash equivalent available, so that leaves a bond fund as the shortest term option. Can someone explain how a change in bond prices affect these funds? I understand the yield moves inversely to the price, but how does this translate to a return?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

IF you are rolling a 401K to another IRA, check with the 401k folks. All I can tell you is there is nothing short term about retirement funds. Provided the tax laws are similar to 401k from company A to 401k company B, then I would put the money into whichever fund you want it to be when you roll it.

IN terms of bond funds, it depends on what type of bonds. Then it depends upon whether it focuses on the value of the bond, or the yield.
For example, there is a fund which is 50/50. When Bond values increase, the yield decreases. So if you have 1/2 of each, you are much more secure.
If you focus on funds that cover yields, and the bond values are increasing (current market) then you will be losing currently.

If you do not have a financial advisor - then go simple; put the money into whatever you want it to be in the long term, so when it rolls, you don't have to worry about it. "short term retirement fund" might be considered an oxymoron.
Good luck.