Book bundle???

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

prettygreeneyes

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I seek the wisdom of 2nd, 3rd, 4th years, and beyond.

I got a letter from Pacific about reserving a "book bundle" for ~$800 (supposedly 10% off price of purchasing seperately) that contains the following 8 books.

1. Geometric, Visual and Physical Optics (2nd ed) Keating
2. Eye Movement Basics for the Clinician (1st ed) Ciuffreda & Tannen
3. Adler's Physiology of the Eye (10th ed) Hart
4. Clinical Ocular Pharmocology (4th) Barlett & James
5. Clinical Ophthalmology (5th) Kanski
6. Neuroscience: Fundamentals for Rehabilitation - Lundy-Ekman
7. Basic Pathology (7th) Kumar
8. Clinical Anatomy of the Visual System (2nd) Remington

What do you guys think? I know that optometry schools often exagerrated their book lists, and that many students get by with just purchasing a small fraction of the suggested books. Are these books something that I will eventually have to purchase at some point in my optometric career? Is there a benefit to waiting until I need it to perhaps get a newer edition? Come on guys... help a frightened first year out!

Bad thing is... I missed the reservation deadline by a few days anyway, so I'm probably out of luck!
 
prettygreeneyes said:
I seek the wisdom of 2nd, 3rd, 4th years, and beyond.

I got a letter from Pacific about reserving a "book bundle" for ~$800 (supposedly 10% off price of purchasing seperately) that contains the following 8 books.

1. Geometric, Visual and Physical Optics (2nd ed) Keating
2. Eye Movement Basics for the Clinician (1st ed) Ciuffreda & Tannen
3. Adler's Physiology of the Eye (10th ed) Hart
4. Clinical Ocular Pharmocology (4th) Barlett & James
5. Clinical Ophthalmology (5th) Kanski
6. Neuroscience: Fundamentals for Rehabilitation - Lundy-Ekman
7. Basic Pathology (7th) Kumar
8. Clinical Anatomy of the Visual System (2nd) Remington

What do you guys think? I know that optometry schools often exagerrated their book lists, and that many students get by with just purchasing a small fraction of the suggested books. Are these books something that I will eventually have to purchase at some point in my optometric career? Is there a benefit to waiting until I need it to perhaps get a newer edition? Come on guys... help a frightened first year out!

Bad thing is... I missed the reservation deadline by a few days anyway, so I'm probably out of luck!

At Pacific (an undisclosed number of years ago) I used 1,5, and 8 extensively.
Number 4 somewhat.
I have heard good things about 3.
The rest ???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey pge,

#3,4,8 are awesome, do you need them for classes....only the upperclassmen know for sure, i would shoot an email to the listserves for these classes. i have these books, but i 😍 books. #1 kinda sucks but you will need it for optics

also don't worry about the 10%, you can usually get books cheaper on amazon, or barnes and noble. i prefer barnes and noble (i'm a member), but i sometimes cant resist the amazon prices
 
Barnes and Noble ends up being a pretty good deal on textbooks if you join their membership club -- free, fast shipping and 10% off their listed price.

I bought a lot of my books used from ebay/half.com. You can often get one edition behind the current one for *much* less, and if it's just for reference sometimes it doesn't matter.

Also -- upperclassmen (at my school, anyway) often sell their non-reference books when they're done with them, so you can get a great deal that way, too.