Book Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophtho24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am actually interested in ophtho, but will have do an internship year, so I am interested in a good basics book on radiology. I was thinking about the Radiology Secrets book. I figured you guys might be able to give me some info. A great ophtho book for med students is Clinical Ophth made ridiculously simple, btw. Thanks for the input in advance. I looked at the ridiculously simple radio book which seemed pretty good but I would like a little more info on basic reading of more advanced imaging like CT or MRI. I might even go with a big book with lots of images like Primer of Diagnostic Imaging just so I can get at least a good feel for CXR reading which seems like the thing I will do the most of as an intern. Let me know what you guys think, it seems like med students always have the best info on good books for med students, attendings just tell you to buy the most dense thing on the planet.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a long response typed up, but there was an error on the page and I lost it....so I'll be much more brief.

Don't get Radiology Secrets...I have it and I don't think it'll help you.

Fundamentals of Emergency Radiology by Weist will give you the broad general knowledge that you need. Definitely a must read.

Felson's Principles of Chest Roentgenology is a fantastic book about CXR's. I highly recommend it, but you don't need to buy...you can probably just check it out at the medical library...very quick reading and fun to read actually.

If you really really want a textbook to read, I think Essential Radiology by Gunderman is a good choice for those that don't want to go into Radiology. Good overview and presents the information in a very clinical manner.

Don't mess with Primer of Diagnostic Imaging or anything that advanced. And unless someone else has suggestions I would just plan on picking up CT/MRI stuff while you are an intern.

Also, Clinical Radiology made Ridiculously Simple would be okay.

Thanks for your input I think I will check out the chest book from my libraary like you suggested and I'll probably just buy the emergency radiology book as my medical school does not carry it for whatever reason. Thanks for the tip on the secrets book I know some are good and some are less than useful for people who just want a broad overview.

Mettler's Essentials of Radiology just came out with a new edition. It is well written and concise. You can read it cover to cover.
A much larger book that you can read as you progress in your medical education is John Harris' Radiology of Emergency Medicine. This book can be your bible in the ER and in private practice. The price is high though.