book for 4th year path rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rbrav

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In two weeks, I begin the glory that is 4th year. I want to go into pathology, so I'm starting off with one month of surg path at my school. Can anyone recommend a good book to read for the rotation, and/or to sit down and go all the way through the weekend before it starts? I have BRS Path and Wheater's, but I'm not sure if those are appropriate. I also have a baby Robbins, but that strikes me as too long for a study source.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the Robbins Q-book may be helpful. Its goes into a fair bit of detail, but its not too bad to get through.

No one realy expects you to know much and there really isn't something you can read in a weekend that's going to prepare you for the rotation. Just go in, show interest, ask questions (but not too many), and read about what you are seeing on a day-to-day basis. I am a big proponent of Pathologic Basis of Disease (aka Big Robbins), so that is what I used for my Surg Path electives when we had a case that I wanted to read about, and if it wasn't in there I went to the resident's library for Sternberg. Seriously, no one is going to expect you to know much of anything.