book for fourth year EM elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiJoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of reading one before I start my EM elective...anyone have any suggestions? I heard First Aid is decent to start out with.

Members don't see this ad.

GiJoe said:
I'm thinking of reading one before I start my EM elective...anyone have any suggestions? I heard First Aid is decent to start out with.

I just posted the following on another thread.
----
I used "Just the Facts in EM" by Cline, Ma, Tinitinalli, etc and did corresponding question chapters in PreTest Self-Assessment and Review: EM by Koenig (in other words, I would readthe GI chapter in Just the Facts and then do the questions from the GI chapter in PreTest, then the Tox chapter, and so on).

I was a big fan of Blue Prints for EM. Its concise and goes over the most common complaints and their work-up. Most importantly its short and easy to manage during a EM rotation. Plus it has nice diagrams.

Members don't see this ad :)
numnutz -

if you're doing the UIC elective (like i think you are), they will tell you what book to read. READ THIS BOOK! there is a test that cannot be completed easily if you use any other book... plus, most of the chapters are written by faculty. it's a paperback, with red embossed lettering... but i forget the specific title. go ask uehara, he wrote a chapter.

-t,md

other than that, i thought FA for EM was pretty good... pocket tintinalli can't hurt, either.

I thought Blueprints was pretty weak--just looked like Blueprints Family Medicine with a different cover to me... I used the pocket Tintanelli and Secrets.