book for research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CMVpromoter

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone here know of a book that they found helpful for understanding biomedical research (techniques, philosophy, etc)?

One of the things I don't like about reading the primary literature is how hard it is sometimes to find information about a particular point about the research that I can only find after asking someone and not in a book or the internet.

I already have the "laboratory navigator" book.
 
The following have been quite helpful to me:

1: At the Bench by Kathy Barker

2: Experimental Design for Biologists by David Glass

3. Scientific Method in Practice by Hugh Gouch

(1) is the most practical for sure. My PI gave it to me when I first joined the lab. It has chapters on keeping a notebook, lab etiquette, and a whole slew of protocols. It's very helpful. (2) is a book I've read recently. It lays out in clear detail how to design and execute experiments. It brings to bear a lot of philosophy of science, but it's still very practical. (3) is more of a philosophy of science book than practical guide, but if you're into that sort of thing, it could be very useful.

Good luck