Book recommendations for Peds Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmjfourth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Peds crew,

I've set up a few peds electives for fourth year. So far I have Peds GI, Peds EM, and Sub-I's. Any good recommendations for books I can read in a 4 week rotation, especially for GI?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I really liked Secrets (Step 3, Peds, Peds EM, and Neonatal/Fetal) for M4. However, you really don't need them. Just read up on your patients like you did in M3 and you'll be fine. I skimmed Case Files Peds, FA peds section, and the Emma Review before the shelf and honored (although I hear NBME is getting rid of shelf tests for AI's/sub-I's).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Essential Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition by Guandalini. It's kind of old (2005) but very readable. I was able to get a copy from my school's library and read most of it over my 4 week GI rotation.

I used this pocket book for my electives and was very happy with it. After the preceptors told me what topic we were going to talk about that day, I would read the small section in this book and be able to answer almost all of the questions they asked about it. It was great.

Pocket Pediatrics: The Massachusetts General Hospital for Children Handbook of Pediatrics (Pocket Notebook Series): 9781451151527: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

Other than that, I tried some other peds books, but never stuck with any. I ended up getting First Aid for Step 3 during 4th year. It doesn't seem like it would be a great book for the actual Step 3 exam, but it's shorter than the previous two, very succinct, and focuses more on management. I feel like it gave me exactly the amount of information that I wanted and, and more importantly, made me feel like I was doing something. It isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it. Like some others have said, you really don't need any books for 4th year. Hope you enjoy your last year!