1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Book Recommendations/Study tips

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by LizzleO, Apr 13, 2007.

1. LizzleO

Pre-Dental
    Hey everyone,
    I am sorry if someone has already posted on this, I couldn't really find anything on it. I am looking to purchase some DAT books and am not planning on taking Kaplan or anything like that. What books do you guys think are great for all areas? Chem is sort of my weakness so I need a book that will get me into shape for those sections...
    Also, do you guys have any tips for what you think are effective ways to study for the DAT? I'm starting pretty early (this summer, won't be taking the DAT until next spring), but I can imagine it's pretty tough to do a lot of intensive studying while taking a bunch of upper-level science courses. Any input you guys have will be greatly appreciated! :love:
    Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. orthdent786

orthdent786 Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    you sshould get the destroyer--> particularly the organic bood odyssey www.orgoman.com takes along time to get through but it is really good ( for organic chem) gen chem--> kaplan is pretty good (destroyer has bio ochem,gchem math so it includes everythign!) :thumbup:

4. dentaldentist

dentaldentist Junior Member

Dental Student
    The first book you should start with is the kaplan blue book. This book will give you a good foundation in all of the subjects and good tips on each section. Its not perfect, but if you know it backwards and forwards you would do fairly well on the DAT. However, it is a little weak in Biology and the PAT section, and you don't want to rely on just one study aid to prepare. For biology you may want to get something like Schaum's outline of biology to get a more complete review. I would start with these for now and then move onto others as you get closer to when you are going to take the test. If you find you need more help on the PAT section, then it may be worth getting Barron's DAT guide (this book is really only good for the PAT portion of the DAT). After you have a good foundation from kaplan and Schaum's, then I would move on to something like Topscore Pro DAT and/or DAT Destroyer.
    Good luck!

* Kaplan Blue Book

* Schaum's outline of biology