Book recs for Patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRightMedication

Reaction score
I need to get organized with my book recommendations for patients. What books or online resources would you suggest for ...

Autism Spectrum?
Nutrition and mental health?
Exercise and mental health?
Sleep and mental health?
Habit formation / management?
A general text and also a workbook for each psych dx?
Behavioral activation / motivation
Caffeine, alcohol, cannabis and mental health?
Pregnancy and risks of medications?
Anything better than Listening to Prozac 1/2 for a meditation on taking psychotropics while human?

My cursory search shows mostly prior book recs for residents, but I'm happy to be redirected if I've missed any old posts that I'm duplicating here. I'm certainty open to any recs not on my list above. I'm especially interested in pithy, direct resources with clear recs for self-guided behavioral modification to help patients address everything they can.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
These are kind of general, but great starting points for CBT and ACT-based self-help:

Feeling Good by David Burns
The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris

I have had some success with these either as standalone recommendations for patients I am working with in a "med management" style framework and as background reading for patients who are participating in weekly psychotherapy.

I'll second the Happiness Trap. I'm not a fan of their version of radical acceptance that we can't/don't have control over our emotions or feelings, but I do think it's a great read for patients who need to work on expectation management to help them understand that feeling happy all the time is unrealistic or that negative emotions are bad and should be avoided at all costs.

I'd also recommend the CBT Toolbox. I had a patient tell me about it in residency and while it's not a replacement for therapy, I've had several patients who either couldn't afford therapy or didn't want to see a therapist say it was helpful for learning some coping skills and understanding their thought processes. It's around $30-$40 on Amazon and has a lot of worksheets and exercises, so fairly easy for patients to understand and use without much guidance.