Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a P2 now and this year we don't learn much about retail pharmacy. We focused mostly on hospital pharmacy and research. Is there a book I can buy that is designed for retail pharmacy? We covered over-the-counter products very briefly and I feel like I know little about them. I also want this book to contain all the important information we need to know about the top 200 or top 300 drugs.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about the top 200-300 drugs - you will likely go over them in therapeutics if you haven't already.

For OTC/self-care products, here is a very thorough, but readable book. It includes a section on natural products (which could be important in a retail setting if you do not have a separate natural products course) and there are also cases in each chapter I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Nonp...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324388826&sr=1-1

Members don't see this ad :)
Learning retail comes with experience. The knowledge you gain from pharmacy school is more geared towards therapeutics because retail is like the red-headed step child and looked down upon.

When it comes to being a retail pharmacist, here is what you need to focus on:

-Law
-Quickly and efficiently handling insurance and technological problems
-Customer service/empathy/etc

You get the drug knowledge through school. No need to buy a book.

I'm not sure about the top 200-300 drugs - you will likely go over them in therapeutics if you haven't already.

For OTC/self-care products, here is a very thorough, but readable book. It includes a section on natural products (which could be important in a retail setting if you do not have a separate natural products course) and there are also cases in each chapter I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Nonp...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324388826&sr=1-1

This. That sucker is golden.

The knowledge base (as far as mechanisms, drug interactions, pathophysiology) is definitely covered in the pharmacy school curriculum. The APhA book is great for the OTC/counseling point end of things. State law is the other big thing that you can get from school, so just study up on the relevant state/federal laws.

The other aspects of retail - customer service, insurance adjudication, inventory management - are all learned practically. Paid interning is a great way to do this, just because a rotation block doesn't necessarily give you the time to become an expert in it.

If you to know about retail pharmacy from a profane and caustic point of view, check out The Angry Pharmacist - but not at work!