booking flights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misspiggy28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone booked their flight yet? One way or return? Term "ends" at trinity on the 15th of december so I assumed it would be safe to book my flight for the 16th...anyway I emailed the school just to check and they said that a timetable is emailed out to the students closer to the time. I'm happy to book my flight for the 16th even if I'm finished a few days earlier (return tickets are so much cheaper), but now I'm not even sure if I should do that...any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

misspiggy28 said:
Has anyone booked their flight yet? One way or return? Term "ends" at trinity on the 15th of december so I assumed it would be safe to book my flight for the 16th...anyway I emailed the school just to check and they said that a timetable is emailed out to the students closer to the time. I'm happy to book my flight for the 16th even if I'm finished a few days earlier (return tickets are so much cheaper), but now I'm not even sure if I should do that...any thoughts?

Book a return flight. I'm at UCC and we frequently don't go to the end of term with classes, but sometimes they do book an exam on the last day of term - just kind of depends on what kind of a mood they are in on the day, I think. It is safe based on my experience to book for the day after the end of term; we have never had something come up after the end of term, just sometimes ended early, and as you noted, return flights are sooooo much cheaper. At worst you will end up spending a few days in Ireland that you could have spent at home. Cheers,
M

HEy miss piggy,

I booked my flights to go to dublin on sept 29 out of toronto. I"m flying straight to dublin so i don't have to stop over in london and do all that customs stuff... etc...
ANyways... i got my return flight but it's not until mid june!!!! Don't think i'm going home for xmas... parents think it's too much money... haha
anyways... do you know many weeks we get off for x mas??

seeya

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all,

here are some flight tips based on my 3 years of experience in dublin...

always buy return flights, they are cheaper (no rocket science there). as far as holidays are concerned, i can only attest to the ucd situation.....in first year, we were told not to book anything before dec 23 and we were done on the 9th. in second year we were told not book anything before dec 23 and we were done on the 14th....in third year we were told not to book anything before dec 23 and we were done on the 18th.....bottom line, don't listen to anything ucd tells you. they are a bunch of inflexible *****s. if you ask the med faculty when exams are they say "we don't have anything to do with it, the exams office schedules them" and you hear the opposite from the exams office. so there is a certain degree of risk involved. obviously you'll have to overshoot and book for the 19th or 20th of december. perhaps they are getting better at working this out with the new classes coming in, i'm not sure.

for ticket prices, i've always had pretty good luck getting decent prices on expedia.ca or belairtravel.com

i also got a couple cheap ones for summer at aircanada.com

air transat has cheap direct flights in summer but beware the 20kg baggage allowance. its usually fine going home to canada but if you like to bring supplies back with you in the fall you're screwed.

Thanks for the advice :) I think I'll definitely go for a return ticket. I figure I'll just book it for the 16th and take my chances...if I have to change it I'll just pay the penalty fee.

Hey benzylique, it looks like we have a good three weeks for christmas, maybe more depending on the exam schedule, yay! I don't know if you've seen this page, it has all the term dates on it:

http://www.tcd.ie/ISA/int/intstudyingintcd.html

oh and FYI, in the past I've found it's cheaper to drive down to the States and fly out of there. If you're in or around the greater toronto area you should look into going from Buffalo, or Syracuse if youre closer to ottawa. They usually connect in Newark and then straight on to Dublin from there (flights going out of toronto often seem to go through london).

yeah if you're from anywhere around toronto or southern ontario you should definitely price flights out of buffalo....it's a small airport and a dream to fly out of.....you can get flights for 200 or 300 dollars cheaper than flying out of toronto and that's the same airline and same flight....good prices out of buffalo on www.continental.com

Hey guys! thanks for the advice.. but i guess i forgot to tell you that i'm from PEI so i have to fly to toronto then dublin!

Where are you living miss piggy? and when are you going up??

Ive been looking at a flight from TO on the 29th also. Dose anyone know when it is possible to move into residence at Trinity?? I think its the 29th but not sure. That would probably be a huge factor in my flyout date. I havent gotten a confirmation on a spot there either which makes me kind of worried :scared: I'm sure it will work out in due time.

Me an MD?? said:
Ive been looking at a flight from TO on the 29th also. Dose anyone know when it is possible to move into residence at Trinity?? I think its the 29th but not sure. That would probably be a huge factor in my flyout date. I havent gotten a confirmation on a spot there either which makes me kind of worried :scared: I'm sure it will work out in due time.

Hey Mr. MD

HAve you had any luck finding a flight going to dublin from TO? I think i'm flying with air canada at 11 pm toronto time. I get there at 12 pm at TO so i have to wait for 11 hours in the airport!!! ****ty deal.... Anyways, i'm not totally sure but i'm PRetty sure that you can go into residence on the 29th or 30th (that's when i'll be there). I called the residence and they said i could just pay for the extra days i'm there. YOu haven't gotten conformation yet?? I Was offered a place and paid my 165 euros to reserve my place... have you done that yet?? I haven't heard anything yet and i hope that everything will be ok when i get there :) If you really want to know the deal with your residence status i suggest you call the residence office! I did it and they answered most of my questoins!

Good luck!

Check out the Zoom flights from Toronto direct to Belfast (not that far from Dublin). The flights I found were about $800 cheaper (return) than Air Canada flights to Dublin or Heathrow. There's also a direct Vancouver/Belfast.